We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September travel advice

Dallas
Level Contributor
43 posts
699 reviews
Save Topic
September travel advice

I am planning a trip starting in Phnom Penh on August 30 and departing from Siem Reap on September 16. After Phnom Penh I plan on going to Battambang for a few days then hope to stay in Sisophon for a few days taking some day trips to Banteay Chhmar then departing for Siem Reap. Can Banteay Chhmar be easily reached by tuk tuk? Are there tuk tuks in Sisophon? What about taxis? Does anyone know about how much it would cost to take a taxi to Siem Reap? Are there any other types of transportation? Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Battambang
Battambang
Battambang Province, Cambodia
Banteay Chhmar
Banteay Chhmar
106 Reviews
Banteay Chhmar, Cambodia
5 replies to this topic
1. Re: September travel advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 June 2018, 18:05

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September travel advice

If you are this person- taken from the web site.

Mr. Chin Vothea : Director, Khmer and English speaker

You need to read the rules of posting on Trip Advisor.

Self-promotion is not allowed.

siem reap
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: September travel advice

It's been over 10 years since I stayed in Sisophon but it hasn't changed much.Drove through there today on my way from SR to BB.One night was enough for me.It's 70K {42 miles } to BC from Sisophon.Good road.But too far in tuk tuk with cars buzzing by at crazy speeds.Get a car.There's a small run down temple in Thma Puok.Good for a quick pit stop.Lots of little temples near BC.Make sure you check out the West Wall of BC.Thats where I got the picture for my facebook page,Shot in Cambodia.The one with all the arms.There's a nice temple on the border to the North.And when I say on the border,I mean on the border.The back part of the temple is roped off because its in Thailand. In English it translates to Big Grandfather Chicken.Ta Moen Thom is close.Samraong is a good place to have lunch.Then East to Anglong Veng.Then South to Siem Reap.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Vietnam
Level Contributor
735 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September travel advice

Hello,

"stay in Sisophon for a few days taking some day trips to Banteay Chhmar"

All depends on your interest in these temple sites, but Banteay Chhmar is really not very big and mostly in ruins. A few hours is probably enough for most people.

I'll tell you what I did:

Traveled from Siem Reap by bus / moto taxi. Spent the afternoon at the site. Slept that night in a homestay in the village. The village is extremely small, by the way.

The next day I got up very early and spent two or three more hours there. Then I did a big walk through the baray, but it was mostly dry, the equivalent of walking through farm land.

Now, I happened to have been invited to a wedding in the village, so I stayed an additional night. Otherwise, I would have returned to Siem Reap the next day.

So, If your going to use Sisophon as a base, one day at Banteay Chhmar will probably be plenty.

Safe travels :)

Mentioned in this post
Banteay Chhmar
Banteay Chhmar
106 Reviews
Banteay Chhmar, Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,724 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September travel advice

I have to agree with Eddie about Sisophon.

It's a town I have to go to from time to time to support one of the Australian RANZCO assisted Cambodian Ophthalmologists.

Very little has changed over the years but with the revival of the train things may start changing faster now.

If it were not for the bus depot there and several bus companies having offices in town ed for passenger toilet breaks then most people wouldn't know of this town.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Reply to: September travel advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sisophon
Recent Conversations