We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monte Argentiaro - One week

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Monte Argentiaro - One week

Hi everyone,

My sister and I are planning to visit Italy for one week in July. Our plan is to fly to Rome and from there we go to "Orbetello" by train and will stay there for one week.

I really try to avoid tourist traps and that's one of the reasons that we chose to visit Monte-Argentario and it's surroundings area but I also don't want to get stuck there for one week if there is not much to explore there.

We are mainly looking for some where that we could enjoy nice beaches , beautiful scinery and also good food.

Our plan is to get there by train and walk, bike or get the bus to go to different beaches, villages and towns in the close-by area, and we also want to rent a car for couple of days for longer trips.

The question is:

1- Is that possible to rent a car in Orbetello?

2- Is one week too much to spend in that area? Or does it have enough to explore?

3- How is the food? Are there cafes and restourant in Orbetello? Our hotel does not offer any breakfast so we have to eat in town.

4- Any other tips and recommendations? :)

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Orbetello
Orbetello
Province of Grosseto, Italy
Monte Argentario
Monte Argentario
Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monte Argentiaro - One week

I can't speak for Orbetello itself, but the area is definitely worth a week. Not many foreign tourists go there but it's very popular with Tuscans. The food out at Monte Argentario itself is great - fresh seafood! You have the opportunity to explore the Maremma proper, the Estruscan coast and the towns of the Alta Maremma as far as Massa Marittima. http://www.altamaremma.org/

Mentioned in this post
Orbetello
Orbetello
Monte Argentario
Monte Argentario
Massa Marittima
Massa Marittima
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monte Argentiaro - One week

I was in Orbetello on the weekend with our own car and wondered about hire car places for people must arrive from Rome and be in need of one. However, a quick Google only came up with a small local company in Albinia and a Hertz in Porto Santo Stefano. There is a bus from Orbetello to PSS or else a taxi. I don’t reckon a week is too long for there is so much to see on both Argentario itself and the Maremma plus chilling out on one of the stunning (if rocky), isolated beaches (be prepared for a scramble down a hillside from the road). I wouldn’t base myself at Orbetello though, for although it’s pretty enough, has some very nice cafes and restaurants and is well positioned for touring, it lacks a certain something for me. We love Porto Ercole, though hotel options are limited. PSS has grown on me in recent years to the point that we may even stay there on our next visit. Hotel options are numerous here in all price categories. Food is fantastic in this area and we often drive over just for lunch at one of several amazing places at PSS where seafood dishes are outstanding. In fact, I think it's safe to say we had one of our best seafood dinners ever there last weekend. PSS is lovely in the evening when a ZTL is enforced creating a pedestrianized area with a strip of restaurants by the quayside in a lovely atmosphere. You can visit the outlying islands such as Giglio, tour the “island”, drive over to any number of very pretty villages on the mainland within an hour’s drive such as Capalbio, Magliano, Saturnia, Pitigliano, Sovana, Sorano – all of which are worth visiting. Tarquinia too isn’t far and that’s a beautiful town with a very good Etruscan museum. I personally reckon it’s worth an overnight. We love this area and head there regularly for although it’s still Tuscany, it’s so incredibly different to around here. Although it doesn't see anything like as many foreign tourists as where I live, it's becoming better known. We were surprised to find quite a few American and Australian tourists at lunch and dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Orbetello
Orbetello
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Albinia
Albinia
Orbetello, Italy
Porto Santo Stefano
Porto Santo Stefano
Monte Argentario, Italy
Argentario Golf Resort & Spa
Argentario Golf Resort...
575 Reviews
Porto Ercole, Italy
Porto Ercole
Porto Ercole
Monte Argentario, Italy
Capalbio
Capalbio
Saturnia
Saturnia
Manciano, Italy
Pitigliano
Pitigliano
Tarquinia
Tarquinia
Province of Viterbo, Italy
Rome
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monte Argentiaro - One week

HI there, my two cents of wisdom: do stay in Orbetello, it is perfectly located for exploring seaside and countryside, it has plenty of cafes and restaurants (excellent, some of them, whilst not absurdly expensive; try I Pescatori, or Ovosodo), has some nightlife and good shopping. Hotel I Presidi is good quality, for instance, but I know there are several B&Bs in "downtown" Orbetello. Car hire services may be available from some independent (i.e. non-mainstream) companies there; perhaps you could ask your hotel or host about it. It is also a real Italian town with an independent life of its own and a small but nice archaeological museum. Beaches nearby can be reached by bus or bike, there is beautiful bike trail starting from Orbetello and leading to Giannella or Feniglia (the two "tombolos" or sand enbankments enclosing the lagoon where Orbetello sits), in particular the latter is a long stretch of (pristine) sand fringed by a wood; more classy beach clubs can be found on Argentario itself (in Porto Santo Stefano, or Porto Ercole) but really little sand there.

Hope you will enjoy this area.

Mentioned in this post
Orbetello
Orbetello
Argentario Golf Resort & Spa
Argentario Golf Resort...
575 Reviews
Porto Ercole, Italy
Porto Santo Stefano
Porto Santo Stefano
Monte Argentario, Italy
Porto Ercole
Porto Ercole
Monte Argentario, Italy
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monte Argentiaro - One week

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for all your helpful and quick replies.

I got the answer to all my questions and now we are sure that we've picked the right destination for our trip.

Great to hear that renting a car is not impossible even if it requires a bus ride to a close by city.

BTW, as Catux mentioned, we chose Orbetello as a base, because of it's location and good access to the rest of area, in case we don't rent a car. Most probably we won't be spending too much time in Orbettelo other than having coffee or breakfast to start the day.

Many thanks for all the tips :)

Maryam

Mentioned in this post
Orbetello
Orbetello
5. Re: Monte Argentiaro - One week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2016, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Monte Argentario