We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Zabljak

Reading
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Zabljak

Hello - We've not been to Montenegro before and on the advice of someone who lived there, we'd like to sample the delights of Zabljak and thereabouts.

So I have two questions: What is the best airport to fly into for the easiest drive to Zabljak (I'm guessing either Dubrovnik, Podgorica or Tivat)?

Secondly...I feel I'm a competent, aware-of-what's-going-on driver (but not fearless). Is the drive likely to test our nerves to the limits?

This will be early September. Can I be fairly confident of good driving conditions?

There, that's THREE questions! Any thoughts from you are much appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Zabljak
Zabljak
Durmitor National Park, Montenegro
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Podgorica
Podgorica
Podgorica Municipality, Montenegro
Podgorica...
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Zabljak

You can go Dubrovnik(Tivat)-Herceg Novi-Niksic-Zabljak or Podgorica-Niksic-Zabljak. It's a new road so you don't have to worry. The weather is nice in early september.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Herceg-Novi
Herceg-Novi
Herceg-Novi Municipality, Montenegro
Zabljak
Zabljak
Podgorica
Podgorica
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
707 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Zabljak

I drove from Podgorica to zabljak, then on to kotor, with no problem (except that the GPS sent us on a "shortcut" secondary road which turned out to be quite scenic, if a bit slow). The driving was fine. I booked my car through MTL Car Rental, which turned out great since they came and picked up the car from near Kotor as I headed off to Croatia.

Mentioned in this post
Podgorica
Podgorica
Kotor
Kotor
Kotor Municipality, Montenegro
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Reading
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Zabljak

Thanks, guys. That's really helpful. The scenery looks breathtaking and we can't wait to see for ourselves!

Budva, Montenegro
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Zabljak

Hi, we visited Zabljak twice previous year with our friends, it is better to drive Podgorica-Niksicko-Pivsko jezero-Zabljak, plan to start your trip from 10-11 am, if it is possible in order to get to Zabljak till full sunset. This route is very picturesque starting from Pivsko jezero. As for the road in Durmitor you should make car signals when you do not see the next turn (like in Asia when driving motobike), this should help. In Zabljak is cool to stay in chale. In the morning you can visit the Black Lake, and mountain peaks, we reached around 2200 by car.

Mentioned in this post
Zabljak
Zabljak
Podgorica
Podgorica
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Zabljak

What are the driving conditions like in February? I'm planning on driving from Podgorica to Zabljak and then onto Kotor a few days after - is this advisable? The forecast for the specific days are "-2, mostly cloudy, a bit of snow" and "-3, decreasing clouds".

I'm aware that the snow is apparently crazy at the moment, but it surely will have decreased by early February?

Many thanks,

Laurence

Mentioned in this post
Podgorica
Podgorica
Zabljak
Zabljak
Kotor
Kotor
Kotor Municipality, Montenegro
6. Re: Driving to Zabljak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2018, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Zabljak