We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin vs Riu Guanacaste

Johnson, Kansas
1 post
2 reviews
Westin vs Riu Guanacaste

We are planning a vacation , trying to decide between the Westin and Riu Guanacaste hotels. Can anyone tell me which has the best beach for swimming?

Thanks

16 replies to this topic
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Westin vs Riu Guanacaste

I have not been to either one but the Riu has earned itself a bad reputation with many in Costa Rica. There is a lot about it if you browse a bit through this forum.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Westin vs Riu Guanacaste

I have not been to either, but believe the Riu has a 'man made' beach, whereas the Westin is natural. I've heard the beach at the Westin is one of the most beautiful in the country. I'd go there guilt free for 'al natural'!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Westin vs Riu Guanacaste

The beach at the Westin is definitely more beautiful. Playa Conchal is considered one of the most beautiful beaches in the country.

Given the horrible record of the RIU with its manmade beach, I would certainly choose the Westin.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,953 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Westin vs Riu Guanacaste

Dear jdtmorgans...

For us costaricans and residents...Conchal is one of the greatest beaches we have...and for visitors as many said...it is a unique beach!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
5. Re: Westin vs Riu Guanacaste

Both places offer a nice beach. I personally consider the Riu a much niccer hotel than Conchal with beter service and rooms. Both are great properties and you will enjoy your stay at either one.

Guanacaste
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Westin vs Riu Guanacaste

If budget is not an issue, Westin is way better than Riu.

Not to mention the bad reputation Riu has for the ecological destruction on the mangroves of Matapalo beach.

Also the beach Conchal is very beautiful vs Matapalo beach.

The town of Brasilito is in a walking distance from the Westin. The Riu has no walking distance towns to share with the locals, since Coco Beach is 25 minutes away.

Hope to be helpful.

alerodgom

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Westin vs Riu Guanacaste

As others have mentioned riu is an environmentally destructive hotel. They are in the midst of building a new wing meaning that you'll be serenaded by the sounds of a loud construction site as you lay on the fake beach. When the noise gets to be too much the nearest escape is about a half hour away.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
8. Re: Westin vs Riu Guanacaste

Westin hands down!

For RIU besides the disproportionate environmental damage, fake beach there is also a construction going on to the 400 room or so expansion project. No to mention the picket lines at the gates...

chicago, Il
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
9. Re: Westin vs Riu Guanacaste

I have not been to The Westin but it has to be better then Riu. My family and I stayed there two weeks ago and it was terrible. I found small bugs on my mattress when I checked it and the food in the restaurants was not very good. Also while we were their (I guess they were burning the brush) the whole complex was filled with smoke.We were really sorry we left Arenal to go there, we had such a great stay at the Hotel Arenal springs and spa. I had been warned and I wish I had listened to the experts on this forum! I am not sure why one of the other regulars keeps recommending it.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Westin vs Riu Guanacaste

flygirl he gets paid to recommend the place.

Reply to: Westin vs Riu Guanacaste
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted