We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car or private transfer - Tamarindo-Playa Carrillo

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
Rent a car or private transfer - Tamarindo-Playa Carrillo

Hi. We are coming to CR in March 2015 and basing out of Tamarindo. We want to go to Playa Samara/Carrillo for three nights and are considering La Tropicale for accommodation.

We are looking for insight on whether to rent a car and drive ourselves or get a transfer?

Once in Carrillo we don't plan on doing much: maybe some horseback riding, a day in Samara, visit the Ara Project at Punta Islita, go to La Roca Falls and just walking around the beaches. We can always take a bus into Samara when we need to and take a taxi back (so the husband can have a few cervezas!)

All suggestions are good suggestions. TIA.

7 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Rent a car or private transfer - Tamarindo-Playa Carrillo

Sorry, I mis-printed.

We are totally agreeable to a shared shuttle.

Cheers

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Rent a car or private transfer - Tamarindo-Playa Carrillo

if you're not going to be driving much, the shuttle, bus, taxi option is a good idea... Rental cars are great if you plan on doing a lot of driving and then the cost is warranted ...

Driving a car here is the only thing I'm not in love with after living here for nearly 5 years ...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Rent a car or private transfer - Tamarindo-Playa Carrillo

Thank you Randy!

After doing a brief search online it seems that shuttles and rental cars are about the same expense. Do you have any insight into this? As I mentioned in my second post - shared shuttle is perfectly fine too.

My husband loves to drive and said he is more than up to the challenge if needed!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Rent a car or private transfer - Tamarindo-Playa Carrillo

I would do a car, that way you can explore the area better.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Rent a car or private transfer - Tamarindo-Playa Carrillo

I think I agree with Cubanon on this one. It's not a difficult drive and you will have your car to do some exploring and do the things you mention. Otherwise, you would need to use the shuttle and once in the area, hire a private driver or taxi to cart you around.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Rent a car or private transfer - Tamarindo-Playa Carrillo

Thank you everyone. Seems like fun times driving it is!! (-:

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,505 posts
100 reviews
7. Re: Rent a car or private transfer - Tamarindo-Playa Carrillo

Rent a car...hopefully you can drive from Samara to Ostional to see turtles...in your case cheaper to rent a car than tranzfers...

roadadvisor

Reply to: Rent a car or private transfer - Tamarindo-Playa Carrillo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted