We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

.....And Alpes-de Haute Provence

Mass
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
.....And Alpes-de Haute Provence

My husband and I have from July 1 to July 5, 2017 to mosey from St. Remy to Geneva. We want to see the best of the departments referenced. Scenic drives, easy hike or two, adorable towns to stay in. We've been to Chambery, Annecy and Chamonix so no need to include. We know about the Gorges du Verdon. Should be dip our toes into Italy? Would be interested and grateful to hear what the destination experts would do with these 5 days, and of course from anyone who wants to chime in. Thanks in advance.

12 replies to this topic
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
1. Re: .....And Alpes-de Haute Provence

Places that come to mind....the Gorges du Loup (including Gourdon ),the Mercantour National Park, Entrevaux in the Var valley, the Roya Valley (partially in Italy).

Ed

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: .....And Alpes-de Haute Provence

Lots of fantastic drives like the Bonette, Izoard, Col d'Galibier... Lac de Serre Poncon is nice.

Towns not so good, ski-business. Maybe Saint-Michel de Maurienne, Briancon (traffic!). Saint-Veran is scenic but meanwhile touristy.

There are great off-road tracks but that requires a proper car and some planning.

Get the Michelin Green Guide French Alps and map 527 + 523. A proper planning of such a tour would take maybe 12 hours minimum. You cannot expect that from a public forum.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,867 posts
3. Re: .....And Alpes-de Haute Provence

You could also maybe head into Italy via the scenic Tende pass, stay in the very pretty wine area around Alba, move onto Switzerland via Stresa on the shore of lake Maggiore, then over the Simplon pass, and finish your journey driving around the very attractive shore of lake Geneva.

Other Italian routes are also feasible.

Mass
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: .....And Alpes-de Haute Provence

Thank you all VERY much for your input.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: .....And Alpes-de Haute Provence

We spent some time in the area in the Vercors around Villard de Lans, in the Isere, and thought it was very beautiful. Might be something to consider.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
149 reviews
6. Re: .....And Alpes-de Haute Provence

The Tende pass is gravel, fun for me on a motorcycle but hell for a FWD car. The tunnel is a nightmare. All in all I would not drive that far east, quite a detour. Italian lakes even more so. Not enough time for a tour like that.

The Vercors is really scenic but I would never miss the Col d'Galibier...

Edited: 16 January 2017, 01:48
Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
149 reviews
7. Re: .....And Alpes-de Haute Provence

That's how I would do it:

https://drive.google.com/open…

Note: St Veran - Briancon via Col d'Izoard (D902) obviously. Impossible now in winter, therefore the strange routing.

Mass
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: .....And Alpes-de Haute Provence

Wow thank you everyone. These are the tips we are looking for.

Mass
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: .....And Alpes-de Haute Provence

No, we will not be going that far east. THNX

Vence, France
Level Contributor
10,216 posts
149 reviews
10. Re: .....And Alpes-de Haute Provence

Forgot the crest route of the Verdon tour. Just added.

Reply to: .....And Alpes-de Haute Provence
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hautes-Alpes
Recent Conversations