We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boonsiri bus from Bangkok to Koh Kood?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
103 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Boonsiri bus from Bangkok to Koh Kood?

I am exploring options for getting to KK from Bangkok. My husband and I will be traveling in early February.

Current options are -

1. Bangkok Airways - $125 one way + transfer to pier and ferry - total R/T cost for 2 people will probably total about $550 USD

2. Private car - $150 each way + Ferry... Total RT cost for 2 approx. $350 USD

3. Boonsiri Bus + Ferry - $25 USD per person each way. Total RT for 2 $100

How comfortable/reliable is the Boonsiri bus?We do not mind taking the 5am bus. We are ok with getting up early. It is so cheap that it is tempting... But I don't want to be miserable!

We are not budget travelers any any means, but like to save money when we can .

Are there any other options , such as a shared mini bus ?

5 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boonsiri bus from Bangkok to Koh Kood?

Koh Kood is not that easy to go to from BKK, even if you fly (at considerable extra expense) it still takes the best part of a full day. I prefer to head to Koh Chang first and then Koh Kood the next day/a few days later. Part of the problem is that the ferries to Koh Kood finish so early, the last ferry is mid-afternoon.

You can go from Ekkamai bus station in BKK to Trat bus station. Either by bus or minivan. From there a combined taxi/boat ticket to Koh Kood (using the cheapest boat at 250 baht), this also includes a free taxi on Koh Kood to your hotel. Total cost for all of that isn't more than 600 baht per person.

I googled the Boonsiri service and it costs 850 baht per person. So for the extra 250 baht or so I think it's a better deal because you will be guaranteed to make the boat and there will be less waiting around at bus stations. Only downside might be that it leaves from Khao San Road, which is not that convenient if you are staying on Sukhumvit, for example, as I do. For me it would still better to get the public buses because a transfer to Khao San would take an extra hour going in the wrong direction at 4am and cost an extra 300 baht for the taxi there.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
103 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boonsiri bus from Bangkok to Koh Kood?

Thanks! Is Ekkamai bus station close to BKK? How often do the mini buses leave from Ekkamai?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
103 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boonsiri bus from Bangkok to Koh Kood?

I have done a bit more reading. How about it I take the 2pm Lonely Beach minibus service from the airport to Ko Chang. Then we can spend the night on Ko Chang and head to Ko Kut the next morning?

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boonsiri bus from Bangkok to Koh Kood?

We used Boonsiri from Bangkok getting the 8am bus and got to our resort at about 4:30pm. The service was pretty smooth and easy with one stop at a service station and then 15 mins at the ferry terminal. It probably isn't much slower than flying and saves GHG emissions!

Edited: 07 November 2017, 11:05
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boonsiri bus from Bangkok to Koh Kood?

Ekkamai bus station is in BKK and has easy access via the BTS.

#3 sounds like an okay plan but you would arrive at Koh Chang when already dark, and if going to Koh Kood the next morning you wouldn't really be able to see anything of Chang at all.

Reply to: Boonsiri bus from Bangkok to Koh Kood?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ko Kut
Recent Conversations