We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flamingos in Rio Lagartos in January

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
flamingos in Rio Lagartos in January

I wanted to photograph large numbers of flamingos in Rio Lagartos in the first week of january ( will be at nearby Chichen Itza) but have heard that most of the flock leave Rio Lagartos in October. Does anyone know if large numbers of birds still stay in the area or are there only sightings of a few birds here and there at that time of year?

8 replies to this topic
Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flamingos in Rio Lagartos in January

Sorry to see that you haven't got an answer yet. My reply will bump your post up the listing again.

Local guides have always told me there are birds all year, but then they would, wouldn't they? I couldn't say that you will see the numbers you want. Perhaps someone else can.

You could also contact these people to see what they say. riolagartosnaturetours.com/Pages/default.aspx

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flamingos in Rio Lagartos in January

thanks for your response. I have contacted local guides who assure me it is still worthwhile to come at that time of year, but as you say, they are hardly going to tell me not to come. I am going to trust them and I'm still planning to go unless someone with local knowledge and no vested interest advises me otherwise!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flamingos in Rio Lagartos in January

I have been in Rio Lagartos in Jan and Feb. There are lots of flamingos still there. You need to hire a boat captain to get you there. Go see the owner at Restaurant Macumba. He can set you up with a good captain and will not over charge. He also has rooms to rent there that have a/c and are very clean and new. The food is great there also. If you are looking for something bigger I own a modern house there 1 block from the ocean with all the amenities. Hope that helps!

Craig

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flamingos in Rio Lagartos in January

Which is the prime month for Flamingos at Rio Lagartos? I have read that they breed at Celestun then move on to Rio Lagartos to nest. Ist hat correct and when would be the best time to see them without disturbing their nesting?

Swindon, UK
Level Contributor
358 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flamingos in Rio Lagartos in January

We were there a couple of days ago and went on a boat to see the flamingos. There were only about 15 but we did a bit of fishing on the way back and caught barracuda whilst trolling soft lures. Another couple we met there caught loads of some kind of sea trout, which they also catch off the harbour wall below the lighthouse on artificials at night. That sunset the flamingos flew right over the town in formation which was quite a sight. Birders' paradise there, I would say.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flamingos in Rio Lagartos in January

That sounds like a great experience, thanks

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flamingos in Rio Lagartos in January

Hi Craig, I will be visiting Valladolid on 3rd week of February and I am wondering if this is a good time to make the trip to Rio Lagartos to watch the flamingos. I am not sure if mid February is a good time to find flocks of flemingos as shown on many images from Rio Lagartos posted online.

Is the boat trip to watch flemingos different from the one that takes you Los Colorados to watch the pink lagoon?

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Playa del Carmen...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: flamingos in Rio Lagartos in January

Hi there, I have company coming in Jan. would like to get some info on your rental there..Just for a couple days for the stay.. thank you ,,Linda

Reply to: flamingos in Rio Lagartos in January
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted