We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharing an awesome rio lagarto's experience.

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sharing an awesome rio lagarto's experience.

Hi all. This is the kind of information one wants to share because it's so cool.

We travelled to Rio Lagartos by car from Valladolid. A must. We were there on a Sunday. The center park was packed of people. Kids playing around. Women selling food on temporary tables. The mass was on. An orchestra was doing a sound check. The mass ended and the dancing started, courtesy of the mayor. It was enchanting: the sun was setting, the church was lit, the music on.

As soon as we entered Rio Lagartos a scooter approached my window and asked if we wanted a tour to see the flamingos. We stopped and talked. As we wanted to hear other options to conclude what was a reasonable price to pay we asked for his phone number and said we would call later. When we got to the malecon, the street that goes along the coast, it's about a km long, Rio Lagartos is a small town. Somebody shouted "flamingo tour", so we stopped and opened our ears to Fidel. We closed the deal for the next morning at 7. He recommended a hotel called Mercy, so did the first guy, so we checked it out. The room was clean, it had air conditioning (not that I like air conditioning but it was sweaty hot, July), private bathroom, TV (just so you know), and a corner view to the water. I would recommend it.

At 7 Fidel arrived with the boat, a lancha, right in front of the hotel. And the tour began. We were lucky to start the day with the sight of a crocodile. Along the ride in the river amongst the mangroves Fidel pointed many kinds of birds. Flamingos appeared in the sky. Fidel slowed down to approach a group of flamingos while educating us on the awesome animal. He then took us to the Rio Lagarto's Dead Sea. It's enclosed water in a salt mine. The attraction here is to jump in and float. After this Fidel takes out clay from the bed of the river for you to cover yourself, all over. While the clay dries he takes you to a spring of fresh and clean water. This marks the end of the tour. It was an amazing experience and Fidel is a great guy.

Here is his number: +52 1 986 103 8467

I highly recommend him.

Salut!

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
9 replies to this topic
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharing an awesome rio lagarto's experience.

How much-how many people????

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharing an awesome rio lagarto's experience.

Sorry, missed that info.

He says 1200 pesos, 2 to 6 people, call him.

=)

Nebraska
Level Contributor
500 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharing an awesome rio lagarto's experience.

Wow how cool!! Thank you so much for sharing.

San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharing an awesome rio lagarto's experience.

Just curious, the day I went there solo no other tourists showed up to fill the boat to reduce the price and the captain to me out solo for at least 3 hours for 300 Pesos........

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharing an awesome rio lagarto's experience.

Hi!

My husband and I are going to Mexico in Januray and I'm in the planning of our week. We have decided to rent a car and drive to Valladolid for one night to visit Chichen Itza in the early morning.

I looked for other things to see in the area and found Río Lagartos. We want to go there too! Do you think it's a good idea to stay another night in Valladolid and drive to RL in the morning to go on a flamingo tour or do you recommend to spend the night befor the tour in RL? Are all tours as early as 7am? We would also want to see the pink lake.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza
21,818 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,119 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharing an awesome rio lagarto's experience.

Enjoyed reading. Nice you enjoyed the Sunday festivities. Always good in Valladolid but you will find similar in many Mexican towns on a Sunday.

Enjoy reading about Rio Lagartos and often take visitors there. However, always sad to read things like this article. theyucatantimes.com/2017/…

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharing an awesome rio lagarto's experience.

RobertSDF

Thanks for sharing. We are not going to Río Lagartos to swim though. I hope a boat tour is not so bad.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharing an awesome rio lagarto's experience.

Tours can happen at any time of the days. There is no shortage of guys with boats willing to take you out. Usually there are less flamingos in winter as most migrate further west around November and return in March. It should still be a nice trip, regardless.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,119 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharing an awesome rio lagarto's experience.

I think no worries, Julia. I know some may get in the water but not me . No problems in a boat.

Reply to: Sharing an awesome rio lagarto's experience.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted