We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental vs. private driver

1 post
1 review
car rental vs. private driver
Save

We are traveling to CR the week 12/25-12/31. I am deciding whether we should stick with our car rental or hire a driver. We are renting a house in Atenas, but plan to take day trips every day to Jaco, Poas volcano, Tajo Alto ziplines, and San Jose. We like to travel at our own pace rather than as part of larger tour groups. But I do enjoy the details and extra tidbits that guides provide. So, I'm open to hiring someone for the time we are there to drive us and lead us through some of the locations. However, we don't need a guide for everything. Sometimes we just need transportation to our scheduled adventures.

Thanks!!

6 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Slovenia
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
61 reviews
51 helpful votes
1. Re: car rental vs. private driver
Save

I have missed the question. It looks like you have already decided to use private transfers/driver. Many of them are very good, and will act as guides. Which ones, you will need to research more. I have had good experiences with both Rocio and Luis from Tucan Limo Services.

2. Re: car rental vs. private driver

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 June 2019, 03:11

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
22 reviews
22 helpful votes
3. Re: car rental vs. private driver
Save

We used both options.a recommend the driver. They are full of useful information and takes away the stress.we booked our driver thru anywhere cost arica and had fantastic service.have a great time we are here now and its beautiful.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
428 posts
198 reviews
112 helpful votes
4. Re: car rental vs. private driver
Save

We always use a driver. Going again at end of dec and it takes stress away.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Slovenia
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
61 reviews
51 helpful votes
5. Re: car rental vs. private driver
Save

The only time we have used a driver was in Costa Rica; and only for two transfers. It totally depends on your travel style; we prefer being on our own, even if that is accompanied by more "working" and some possible complications (read car accidents).

Yet the two transfer we have had with Luis and Rocio were both great, we have learned a lot about the country, etc. But we cannot see ourselves being driven around the whole trip. Others enjoys the driver. Usually the driver does not stay with you the whole time. If you want to have it 24/7, it will be quite expensive, I think.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
10,531 posts
362 reviews
279 helpful votes
6. Re: car rental vs. private driver
Save

For travel around town in the evenings, getting groceries, etc. it would be better for you to have your own car or to hire a taxi. Private drivers are more for driving between cities, picking you up at the airport, etc. We like to have a driver for those, but if you like to have your own freedom and are comfortable driving, a lot of people like to rent a car.

Reply to: car rental vs. private driver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Atenas
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.