We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Rome to Saturnia

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
from Rome to Saturnia

I am planning to visit Saturnia while I'm in Rome! I have seen many posts about how to reach saturnia and they were a bit confusing.

I would like to know if anyone can help me with the transportation. Our hotel in Rome is close to the "Roma ostiense" train station so we will be taking the train from there. I have also seen some bus schedules from grossetto and orbetello but i could'nt understand it well.

Another thing is that we are traveling on a Sunday so I don't know if the bus schedules are different

Any help please?!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,571 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Rome to Saturnia

Renting a car is the best way to get to Saturnia. Otherwise you're held hostage to the bus schedules. Would you consider spending a night or two somewhere in Tuscany close to Saturnia. We stayed in Pitigliano when we visited the hot springs. You can see our blog and some pictures of our visit there in 2009 at

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,476 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from Rome to Saturnia

Bus schedules will be different and possibly non-existent on a Sunday in this very quiet corner of Tuscany so do consider Jerry's sound advice in renting a car. It's an easy drive, it's a fairly scenic drive but do stay overnight for a) the area merits a bit of time and b) never, ever (and anyone else reading this) attempt to drive back into Rome from that area and the coast via the Via Aurelia on a summer Sunday afternoon / evening for half of Rome will be on the road with you. I did it once and my husband very nearly missed his flight as a result of us sitting in 2 hr long queues going nowhere.

Mentioned in this post
3. Re: from Rome to Saturnia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 14:21
Get answers to your questions about Saturnia