We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a petition against Alykanas beach village going AI?

6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is there a petition against Alykanas beach village going AI?

i am shocked to hear it's going AI next year and so glad we have just booked last minute to go week after next.

I feel for the restaurants . It seems a long way to go to sit behind four walls and not experience a little culture !! I am not impressed Thomson!!

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a petition against Alykanas beach village going AI?

Several petitions have appeared on social media since the announcement of this most unwelcome news, here's a link to one:- ipetitions.com/petition/keep-alykanas-villag…

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a petition against Alykanas beach village going AI?

Why do people assume that going all inclusive means sitting inside 4 walls and not experiencing culture? Whilst I can't speak for everyone, myself and my partner have been all inclusive on every holiday in the past, most recently Ibiza. The all inclusive deal was great while we were in the hotel, as we didn't have to pay for drinks. However, almost every day we ate out at lunch time because we were out sight seeing. We also ate out on some evenings too, again while sight seeing. But the all inclusive package was good value to us mainly because of the drinks included. We still saw a lot of the island and we certainly didn't travel all that way to sit inside 4 walls.

Having said that, the hotel will probably be under pressure from Thomson to become all inclusive, which is not something I agree with.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
437 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a petition against Alykanas beach village going AI?

Any petition will be a hollow gesture I'm afraid. It's a done deal, they're already selling the holidays.

One local business owner I talked to said he saw it as an opportunity rather than a threat. His reasoning was that AI would bring in people who wouldn't otherwise have gone, these people would inevitably explore to some extent so it was a chance to show them what Greece/Zakynthos/Alykanas was really like so that they'd come back in the future and stay SC or B&B. I think very few people who go AI truly confine themselves to "four walls".

liverpool
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a petition against Alykanas beach village going AI?

I'm afraid as soon as I hear a phrase containing the words 'petition' and 'social media' I tend to lapse into a deep coma. Many all-inclusive hotels are located on the outskirts of large resorts. These often become self-contained prisons from which their guests seldom stray. Alykanas Beach village is centrally located, so this shouldn't be a problem. I honestly don't think this is anything to get worked up about.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
424 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a petition against Alykanas beach village going AI?

@Twiglet88, there is certainly a place for AI in the holiday world but it has to be the right place and provide a level of service that the customers are paying for. There is a world of difference between the standards of AI in Spain and Greece. I have friends who went AI in Kalamaki because it seemed to be the cheapest option....it wasn't. Halfway through the first week they had just had enough of the luke warm repetitive meals, the queueing for drinks, drinks in plastic glasses and lack of a choice of drinks. For the rest of the holiday they ate and drunk out every night and loved it. Took a large hit on their pocket though.

The Alykanas Beach Village will be a self-catering complex masquerading as all-inclusive. Thomsons simply think they can make more money out of it as AI. Most of the AI hotels that work were built as AI or were actually hotels first. This is going to be a mish-mash and I feel sorry for anyone who books it as they will be disappointed.

I can't see Thomsons changing their mind no matter how many petitions there are. Long term it may actually bring new people into the resort.

South East UK
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a petition against Alykanas beach village going AI?

So they want to attract people who might not have stayed there when it was SC but at the expense of losing the loyal clientele they already had?

Having seen how AI has decimated some resorts in Spain and her islands, it breaks my heart to think of Greece going the same way.

In 15 years time, we won't have any choice of going SC as it'll be AI or nothing and local businesses will have all closed down

Edited: 03 August 2015, 00:00
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a petition against Alykanas beach village going AI?

.. you can always travel independently.. and book direct:-) Enjoy all!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
437 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a petition against Alykanas beach village going AI?

SW, their "loyal clientèle" have any number of great local places they can take their business to, they might even enjoy staying in a smaller family run establishment rather than a modern characterless monolith!

And Litsa I can absolutely see your point and it's my preferred travel method also but many like the security of a travel agent being involved which I can quite understand.

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a petition against Alykanas beach village going AI?

That is a fair comment. But that particular resort and hotel really is more about the local restaurants. Not everywhere is like this but this place is.

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a petition against Alykanas beach village going AI?

We chose this hotel and resort mainly for the freedom to go out at night for dinner and of course the other great facilities . But I guess it will attract a new customs that will return again as it is a great place alone. But the restaurants will suffer. However, maybe it will be good like you you say for the the other local SC units.

Get answers to your questions about Alykanas