We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Verona from Mestre?

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Verona from Mestre?

Hi all, I am travelling to lido jesolo in September and I’m planning a day trip to Verona. Has anybody any advice on whether it’s cheaper/easier to book train tickets online in advance, or buy them at the station? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
10 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Verona from Mestre?

If you wish to travel on fast trains, buying in advance is much cheaper. If you are ok with a regional train (no reserved seats and slower, more stops), then you can buy the day of your trip as the price doesn’t change.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Verona from Mestre?

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Verona from Mestre?

Here is the web site where you should look at schedule and buy tickets if you decide to buy online

Www.trenitalia.com, switch to English at the top. This is the main train company in Italy, they run all the regional trains and many of the fast trains in that region (Freccia trains are fast trains).

Www.italotreno.it is a fast train company, you can find trains from Mestre to Verona, on special now for 9.9 euro.

They are great, all fast trains are great...

Plug in the Italian names of towns, so Venezia not Venice

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Verona from Mestre?

Ah that’s brilliant, thanks again! Booked! Roll on September!

York, United Kingdom
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Verona from Mestre?

Has anyone warned you that you need to get your tickets stamped/endorsed before you travel on the trains? I don't know why but my sister in law got into trouble on one journey last year - she'd purchased all her tickets and printed them off at home in the uk but didn't know anything about the need to get them endorsed....I would like clarification on this as I'm about to do a load of train travel in the Veneto - I've printed my tickets off but I'm not sure where I go to get them endorsed...?

Mentioned in this post
Veneto
Veneto
Italy
Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Verona from Mestre?

Hi, It says on Trenitalia site that all you have to do is print out the e-ticket, and present it to the conductor on the train. This is what I did the last time when I travelled from Milan to Venice and it was fine. I think this may be the case if you are using the regional trains, I have only used the faster direct services.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
York, United Kingdom
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Verona from Mestre?

Maybe you're right - on the mainline trains but from Vicenza to Venice last year (which I think is a regional line) there was a huge fuss because my nieces hadn't had their tickets stamped before they boarded the train....??

Mentioned in this post
Vicenza
Vicenza
Province of Vicenza, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Verona from Mestre?

If you buy your tickets online, you don't need to stamp them because they have a date printed on them already.

I am talking about the Regional train tickets. You can actually get on any train on the same route and Class for a couple of hours (4 maybe? read the ticket) AFTER the time you purchased - not before. They expire after that window of time.

The tickets you buy at the stations on the other hand, don't have a date on them and conceivably one could use them multiple times on different days if they wanted to cheat.

The fast train tickets, are specific to a train, a time, a car and a seat, just like the planes, so no chance to cheat. You miss the train you are done.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,375 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Verona from Mestre?

>>The tickets you buy at the stations on the other hand, don't have a date on them<<

Actually, these days Regionale tickets bought at stations do have a date on them, as they are issued for a specific day and can be used on any train that day. They still have to be stamped, to prevent them being used more than once on that day.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to Verona from Mestre?

Good to know. I avoid buying at the stations, even when I am there I purchase online, so much more convenient!

Reply to: Train to Verona from Mestre?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lido di Jesolo