We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm planning to visit Shimla via kinnaur from delhi

5 posts
Save Topic
I'm planning to visit Shimla via kinnaur from delhi

Hii guys..

I'm planning a visit to kinnaur via shimla by taxi from delhi, let me explain the complete details... Our plan is to visit from delhi to Shimla, Narkanda, Sarahan, Sangla then chitkul and Kinnaur... We are planning to visit there in first week of January 2017..i just wanted to know the condition of weather and roads, whether they are accessible or not or should we change the destinations..

Chitkul
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Rakcham
Neighbourhoods
Kamru Fort
Ancient Ruins
Sangla Buddhist Monastery
Sacred & Religious Sites
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm planning to visit Shimla via kinnaur from delhi

See roads for kinnaur closes in December and opens in march. Don't think even going between this. If u reach also u won't get anything to eat or stay. All comes downhill.

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm planning to visit Shimla via kinnaur from delhi

Somik,

Thank you very much for your advise... I'd be great help if you could suggest me some other 2,3 places in himachal pradesh where we can visit in once in the end of December but apart from manali because I've been there last December, so just wanted to explore new places

Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm planning to visit Shimla via kinnaur from delhi

Dalhousie dharamshala chamba kangra jogindernagar. These spots are good too. But start from pathankot

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm planning to visit Shimla via kinnaur from delhi

# 1 is mistaken : Shimla to Kaza is open in the winter.

Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm planning to visit Shimla via kinnaur from delhi

Have u gone in winter? I have gone 2 times but road closed before kalpa.

No food I ate with local people

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm planning to visit Shimla via kinnaur from delhi

Somik,

Thanks again for your revert... I Will plan these places you've suggested..

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm planning to visit Shimla via kinnaur from delhi

Vistet,

Is Shimla to kaza accessible in winters?? I mean i went to manali but couldn't even reached at rohtang as the roads were not closed in December...

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
136 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm planning to visit Shimla via kinnaur from delhi

Yes.. Shimla to Kaza is open in winters from Kinnaur side, not from Manali-Rohtang-Kunzum side.

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm planning to visit Shimla via kinnaur from delhi

I´ve been over this with locals a number of times : they think of monsoon rains as the only real problem on the NH22 . I´ve done many long winter stays in Ladakh , where some local politicians lobby for a road connection via Kibber and Kaza as a way of getting all year connection to Shimla.

The local news also shows this : both last and this year for example you find February news stories talking of heavy snowfall over the Rohtang etc - and the NH22 being blocked at the same time . I.e. it was open before .

I´m going to Kaza in January , will post more on my blog - if I dont die of starvation ;-)

Edited: 02 November 2016, 18:24
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm planning to visit Shimla via kinnaur from delhi

I am talking for normal journey. You are talking about mountaineering expedition. I know you love taking challenges of extreme weather. Best of luck.

Get answers to your questions about Sangla