We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Colombo airport to Mirissa

Birmingham
Level Contributor
32 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Colombo airport to Mirissa

I have been advised that we can get a taxi from Colombo airport to Mirissa. However, does anyone know if you can get a train and where we get it from etc...?

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Mirissa
Mirissa
Southern Province, Sri Lanka
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,308 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Colombo airport to Mirissa

Hi there,

Well cab is 3 hours and bus-train is 5-6 hours. Not for the fainthearted especially with jetlag.

But if you insist

a] Bus 187 or EX03 to Fort station

b] For any train except the 6.55 AM one which has 2 reservable coaches, then tuktuk to Maradana station (as in Fort the chance for getting a seat is minimal).

c] Train Maradana (or Fort) to Mirissa or other nearest station, which one depends a bit on the train.

See top question on public transport for details.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Mirissa
Mirissa
Birmingham
Level Contributor
32 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Colombo airport to Mirissa

Thank you. That is very helpful. Maybe we will stick with the cab.

3. Re: Travel from Colombo airport to Mirissa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 March 2017, 22:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Colombo airport to Mirissa

you can get cab from the airport it self (an airport taxi) they will give you the cost so you do not have to worry about negotiating or wondering whether you were charged more. if not you can call a taxi from outside the airport. there are few reputable once. there is Kangaroo cabs. if not look for the airport taxi counter which is on to your right hand side once you arrive after customs. the first taxi counter to your right

Birmingham
Level Contributor
32 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Colombo airport to Mirissa

Thank you to everyone to replied to my post and also sent messages. I have organised the taxi now.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Colombo airport to Mirissa

Hi

i have looked up the same as above and spoken to some people. The timetable shown on the sri Lankan train websites says it take approx 3 and 1/2 hrs to Weligama, i suppose the 5-6 hours estimate includes bus from the airport to fort and then from Mirissa to Weligama?

also how much round about should a taxi cost from the airport to mirissa?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Weligama
Weligama
Matara, Sri Lanka
Mirissa
Mirissa
Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Colombo airport to Mirissa

Nearly 180 km distance from air port to Mirissa using express way. Based on 75 LKR per km basis shoul be around LKR 13500 + expressway toll around lkr 700-800.

If you use official air port transfer cabs at arrival terminal then it's fixed price.

BRgds

Mentioned in this post
Mirissa
Mirissa
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Colombo airport to Mirissa

Hello

A taxi from colombo to mirissa is around 8500 to 9000 rps so I think you'll be able to get it cheaper than 13k from the airport. That seems very high price. Im not sure it is 180km i think it is closer to around 120km actually.

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Colombo airport to Mirissa

Oh good to know.please share the route details.Either it's on expressway or coastal way.?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,308 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Colombo airport to Mirissa

Well it's definitely 180 km. What #8 points at is that some routes now start getting heavy competition and tourist traffic, and then some operators manage to operate on a model 'certain enough that we get a return hire'. So over Internet, it might be possible to find a cheaper hire of maybe Rs 10,000. But not at the airport desks, they always return empty to starting point (at least in their price calculation).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS #6: Yes 5-6 hours is total duration for bus and train including 2 x waiting for the departure time to come. It's not a smooth private transfer that travels when you like, but a train with a schedule and a bus with a departure determined by some schedule but also by the simple situation whether it's 'full enough' already.

Edited: 27 April 2017, 14:26
Get answers to your questions about Mirissa
Recent Conversations