We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mirissa or Tangalle

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mirissa or Tangalle

Hi all,

I am visiting Sri Lanka in August with my husband.

We want to stay on the beach for 3 nights and are trying to decide between Tangalle and Mirissa.

We want to be able to relax during the day and go out for dinner/drinks at night.

We also want to be able to swim at the beach.

I am leaning towards Mirissa as I think there are more restaurant options and the beach is more swimmer friendly.

Open to any suggestions.

Thank you

Whale Watching Club
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Marriot Cruise
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Fishing Charters & Tours, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Raja & the Whales
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Mirissa Water Sports
Dolphin & Whale Watching
3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mirissa or Tangalle

In August it will be very difficult to swim in Mirissa, impossible in Tangalle. If you want more restaurants and bars you definitely have to go to Mirissa, maybe booking an hotel with a pool... If you really want to swim.

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mirissa or Tangalle

Yes, Mirissa is better than Tangalle. More out door restaurants and reef protected beach for safe swimming.But in Aug sea is bit rough so be careful even behind the reef. Morning time is best to sea swimming. Open ocean NO.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mirissa or Tangalle

If swimming is a priority consider unawatuna where there are a couple of established areas where swimming is just about possible in august. At that time of year you dont want to be going in too far anywhere along the coast. I watched another visitor being saved from being swept out by the currents just yesterday. August isn't the time for south and west sea adventures.

Stay safe

Reply to: Mirissa or Tangalle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mirissa