We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking in Denali without bus

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
735 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
hiking in Denali without bus

Hello to all

I would like some advice on hiking to do nearby the entrance of the park, I would not spend too much time in the bus so you will not catch him, or maybe just the first stop.

We will be in Healy for 3 nights

I did not see any aero taxi to get to Eielson

Thanks for advice

sorry for my English

Edited: 29 May 2017, 15:36
13 replies to this topic
Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
735 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking in Denali without bus

Excuse I wanted to fly to Wonder Lake no Eielson

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,340 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking in Denali without bus

There are no flights to Eielson or Wonder Lake. There is a flight to Kantishna (Kat Air) but it is very expensive.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,882 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking in Denali without bus

If you have 3 days in Denali, I would book at least 2 days of shuttles for seeing/exploring the park and for hiking. You can use one full day as well as your arrival/departure days hiking the entrance area trails. www.nps.gov/dena for park information including all the hiking. :)

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
735 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking in Denali without bus

Yes, but if I go all the time in the bus I do not have the time for trekking

Is there some trekking without taking the bus?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,340 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking in Denali without bus

First, we recommend you go as far as Eielson at least one day to view scenery and look for wildlife. During the trip in you can be scouting for good places to hike on the trip back out and other days. Choose today's hike the furthest in, so that tomorrow you can use the shuttle just as transportation to 1 or 2 other hikes nearer the entrance.

There are also entrance-area hikes. More info:

https:/…dayhiking.htm

alaska.org/destination/…parks-and-trails

And if you look under Top Questions at the right side of the page (when on a computer), you'll find a couple of threads discussing hikes.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,882 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiking in Denali without bus

You need to start thinking of the bus as transport to the hiking locations - not as just a bus ride. That was one of the main purposes of the shuttles in Denali - to get people into the park so they can explore/hike. I don't think you realize how very large Denali national park is - one of the largest parks in the world!

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
735 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hiking in Denali without bus

Hello

Can you tell me where I can get with my car in Denali Park?

or even the first bus stop in order to make the trek?

I saw that to get to Elison center it takes 3 hours, I'm only 3 hours to go hiking, just a little ..

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,340 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: hiking in Denali without bus

With your car you can drive 14 miles into Denali, up to Savage River. Beyond that you must be on a shuttle or tour bus (yes, they check, a Ranger boards every vehicle). The only way to go farther on your own is to walk or bike--and the road is uphill. Here is an elevation map to show that: https://www.denaliwildlifetour.com/wp-conten…

There is a shorter shuttle to Toklat if you want to hop off at Sable Pass or somewhere for hiking. As Coalminer said, you can consider the shuttle just as transportation. However, the Eielson shuttle costs only $7.50 more, so if I were you I'd buy an Eielson ticket and then decide on the day how far to go before getting off to hike.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hiking in Denali without bus

I have done quite a bit of hiking on day trips in Denali using the bus system. It is about 4 hours one way from the entrance to Eielson Visitor Center. If you leave at say 8am from the entrance, you get to Eielson about noon. It will be about 3-1/2 hours to return (since you stay at the visitor center about 1/2 hour). So if you don't hike you get back to the entrance about 4pm. Say you hike for 3 hours. That means you still get back to the entrance by about 7pm.

You can certainly hike somewhere within the first 14 miles of the road where you can drive. But areas there are limited - partly it is very brushy with willows, partly off-road hiking is closed about Mile 8-9 due to a wolf den in the area somewhere. But the best hiking and the best views are if you hiked between Polychrome Pass and Eielson.

Also, realize that in Denali there are almost no trails once you get past the first 14 miles. You average maybe 1mph when you hike on the trail-less tundra. So a 3 mile hike will take you roughly 3 hours.

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
994 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hiking in Denali without bus

Last fall, my husband and I flew up to the park (in our airplane; not charter). The airfield is right where the train station is there at the park and right near the Visitor's Center. We hiked the Mount Healy Overlook Trail, and enjoyed it very much. It took about 4 hours round trip. The trail is very pretty overall, and once you get to the top, you are rewarded with some beautiful views. The trail has a moderate incline, but if you go, just take your time. We didn't have time to take the bus, so I just wanted to chime in with another option for you. We will be going back next week and hiking with family.

Edited: 14 June 2017, 10:45
Reply to: hiking in Denali without bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...