We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shuttle bus vs transit bus?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
shuttle bus vs transit bus?

Hi, my husband and I are trying to decide between taking a transit bus vs a shuttle bus. Is it worth the narration for the more expensive bus? Also, how does the comfort of the buses compare? Are there places to fill up water bottles along the way or do you have to bring everything with you?

Thank you for your help!

9 replies to this topic
conn
Level Contributor
3,048 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shuttle bus vs transit bus?

only choice is betwinn tour bus and shuttle bus. you can fill a water bottle at the visitor center.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shuttle bus vs transit bus?

I would always recommend the shuttle bus over the tour buses. I believe you can get water at Eielson, but not 100% sure on that. How many days do you have in Denali? :)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shuttle bus vs transit bus?

Sorry, I mean the tour bus vs the cheaper, shuttle buses. We'll be in Denali for 4 days, 3 nights.

Thank you!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shuttle bus vs transit bus?

I would book at least 2 shuttle bus trips into the park . . . you can book to Wonder Lake and if weather isn't good, you can turn around at Eielson.

New York
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shuttle bus vs transit bus?

Yes, you can fill up water bottles at Eielson. I would take advantage of the buy 2 get on free, shuttle buses. I never recommend the triple cost tour buses to independent visitors. Buses are similar in seating.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
1,188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shuttle bus vs transit bus?

Yes water but NO FOOD available, worth grabbing a sandwich to take with u, there is a subway open 24/7 in town. Each trip is different so yes take buses on at least 2 days, tour bus a little better but shuttle bus drivers also good. On shuttles u can get get off and do a casual hike on tundra, good idea. Just go back to road to catch another but but carry rain gear, forecasts are not accurate! Bring binocs!!!!!! Check your window opens at start of trip, some are stuck. Message if questions just got back.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shuttle bus vs transit bus?

you get cans of water on the tour bus! but having taken the natural history tour, I'd probably take the shuttle bus next time. i took the tour more for my mother's benefit.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
1,188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shuttle bus vs transit bus?

Cans on your tour bus but not shuttle

Edited: 30 June 2017, 08:37
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shuttle bus vs transit bus?

Note that what used to be called the shuttle bus is now called the transit shuttle or transit bus. This is different from the tour buses.

I also recommend the transit shuttles.

The reference above to the buy two, get one ride free is only available if you call. It is not available online.

Reply to: shuttle bus vs transit bus?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...