We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Trip 7 days - Help with Itinerary

D S
4 posts
Save Topic
Alaska Trip 7 days - Help with Itinerary

We are visiting Alaska - family of 4 with kids (daughters) age 7 and 10. Land Anchorage on 12th early morning (1:30 am) and leaving on 19th night from Fairbanks (around 9:30 pm). We plan to rent a car during this stay. Need help plan our trip. We would like to cover Seward, Denali and few attractions in Fairbanks before we leave. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

14 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Trip 7 days - Help with Itinerary

"Land Anchorage on 12th"

What month?

Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Trip 7 days - Help with Itinerary

August

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Trip 7 days - Help with Itinerary

How about something like this:

12th – arrive ANC 1:30 a.m. (do you mean it's now the 13th?), overnight.

13 – drive to Seward (2.5 to 3 hrs) with scenic stops, Wildlife Conservation Center, Ididaride sled dog tour, SeaLife Center. Overnight Seward

14 – 7.5 hr. Kenai Fjords cruise with Major Marine (has Jr. Ranger program for the girls). Exit Glacier. Overnight Seward.

15 –Drive to Matanuska Glacier (5 hrs). Late afternoon/early evening easy private hike with MICA (since you have a kid under 8 yrs old). Views from mile 101 and 103. Overnight Sheep Mt. Lodge.

16 – drive to Denali (5 to 6 hrs) with stops at Musk Ox Farm, Iditarod HQ, Talkeetna for flightseeing if desired. Entrance activities at Denali including picking up Jr. Ranger kits for the girls. Overnight Healy.

17 – shuttle to Eielson (8 hrs) to view scenery and look for wildlife. Bring food & beverages since none are available inside the park. With shuttles you can get off to hike if you want to, then flag down a later shuttle to head back to the entrance. Other activities as time allows. Overnight Healy.

18 – morning in Denali if still things to do. Drive to Fairbanks (2+ hrs). Museum of the North, Ice Museum, Pioneer Park. Overnight Fairbanks.

19 – 9 a.m. Riverboat Discovery. Gold Dredge 8 and Pipeline Display. Flight home.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Trip 7 days - Help with Itinerary

Don't be shocked at that one way rental for your car which you should book today.

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Trip 7 days - Help with Itinerary

Hello all -

In desperate need for some help. My 83 year old grandfather and I would like to take a trip to Alaska from August 26th - September 1st. We arrive in Anchorage around 7:30 pm on the 26th and depart at 8 pm on the 1st.

That being said, I want to plan an awesome trip for him. He has been to 48 of the 50 states (just Alaska and North Dakota to go).

He is fairly active, but probably not looking to do any serious hiking or rafting. He loves the outdoors and we will be renting a car for the whole week.

He loves all things outdoors, so I am thinking glacier tours, maybe dog sledding, and some cool driving tours or light hikes.

Any suggestions on itineraries, best travel routes, or places to stay would be incredibly appreciated!

Thank you!

D S
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Trip 7 days - Help with Itinerary

Thank you so much. I actually arrive late night 11th that is 1:30 am. So we do have 1 additional day. Should we try to cover North Pole in Fairbanks?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska Trip 7 days - Help with Itinerary

Anything in North Pole won't take all day - more of hour or two.

Scott L - I would begin your own post for help with your own trip - start that by "ask a question".

Level Contributor
77 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska Trip 7 days - Help with Itinerary

My family just did a two week trip, with kids ages 8, 10 and 12. I'll also add to Maple's suggestions of things my kids enjoyed.

Seward: Yes on the 7.5 hour Kenai Fjords trip with Major Marine. The ranger was terrific and so approachable. Sea Life Center was fabulous, too. My kids especially loved the touch tank and watching the puffins swim and fly.

Girdwood Area: Yes to the Wildlife Conservation Center. We were there for almost three hours, just walking around and looking at the animals (especially the bears). We also visited Crow Creek Mine and panned for gold. Kids loved it, even though the only gold they got was from the practice bag. Your family might also enjoy the Alyeska tram if it's a nice day (it wasn't for us, so we passed on it).

En route to Denali--We stopped at the Iditarod Museum. Kids loved the puppies and the quick dog sled ride. They didn't care much about the movie, but it was interesting to the adults.

Eielson shuttle at Denali was great--kids enjoyed it. We did the dog sled demonstration and visited the kennels, but we learned more at the Iditarod Museum. The Visitors' Center is a good place, and you can pick up a bag with activities for the kids. Mine didn't do many of the activities, but the bag was a nice one to use for the day.

While we were in the Denali area, we also did a scenic wilderness float on the river which was enjoyable. My older two probably would have enjoyed something a bit more intense, but this worked to have another view of the area.

In Fairbanks, we the Visitors' Center and the Museum of the North. There is a good bit of overlap, so you might want to just pick one if pressed for time. I think my kids actually preferred the (free) visitors' center. My 12 year old got to make a bracelet while working with local teens, and my 8 year old danced on stage during a demonstration. Plenty to see there. We visited Creamer's Field as well, which is nice to burn off energy (and on certain days at 10 AM, there is a guided walk, which was interesting). We did Riverboat Discovery, which we all liked, and we also visited the Large Animal Research Facility and did a tour. We saw musk oxen and reindeer up close (we didn't do the Musk Ox Farm in Palmer because of this, but to be honest, if you visit the Wildlife Conservation Center, you can skip the Large Animal Research Facility as there are both musk oxen and reindeer/caribou there as well. We didn't know this at the time.) The pipeline is good for a quick visit, although my kids weren't all that interested in it.

The North Pole is really just a big Christmas store. We spent about an hour there, but we were en route to Valdez so it was just on our way. Unless you are a huge lover of Christmas and have extra time, I wouldn't give up something more unique to Alaska. However, it was fun to get photos with Santa, so your kids might like that if you celebrate Christmas. They do have a reindeer experience but it was closed when we were there, and we had seen quite a few reindeer already that it didn't seem as novel as it might have otherwise been.

Another place that my kids thought was "cool" was Independence Mine, which is en route to Denali. We spent about 3 hours there. Only go if it's not a foggy day, as the views are part of the experience.

D S
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska Trip 7 days - Help with Itinerary

Thank you so much. Any suggestions on doing Arctic Circle trip ? I know it will take one whole day. Not sure if kids 7 and 10 will enjoy this.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaska Trip 7 days - Help with Itinerary

"Any suggestions on doing Arctic Circle trip ? I know it will take one whole day. Not sure if kids 7 and 10 will enjoy this."

- which Arctic Circle trip (there's a variety)?

- I can't imagine the kids would find any of the possibilities exciting; for them it's a lot of 'down time' and there's nothing but a sign (see: ) in a gravel parking lot with a bunch of mosquitoes!

Reply to: Alaska Trip 7 days - Help with Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...