We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali Shuttle Bus 5 people

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Denali Shuttle Bus 5 people

Hello all,

I am planning my 30th birthday trip to Alaska this summer from June 28th-July 8th. There will be 5 of us, and have two full days (and a half of another day) to experience Denali. My question is two part:

1. Two of us definitely would like to take the voyage to Wonder Lake, but we aren't sure how the others will feel and was just curious if we bought tickets for separate destinations, could we still journey most of the way there? Or any suggestions on how to work this out?

2. Would you recommend buying the bus tickets in advance? I ultimately would like to travel out to the lake when the weather seems best, but also didn't want to miss out on getting seats early. I saw on the website that they reserve 35% for booking at the WAC, but is it too risky to wait until then?

Many thanks! And also, I just wanted to say I love reading all these threads! My trip is 4 months out and its all I'm thinking about!!

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Denali
Denali
2,319 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
259 Reviews
7 replies to this topic
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,493 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denali Shuttle Bus 5 people

What is the make up of your group of five? Kids? Elders?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,008 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denali Shuttle Bus 5 people

You are coming during a peak time - I would reserve my tickets as soon as your itinerary is firm. Do not wait until you are here or you may find yourselves waiting a few days for available tickets, especially if you want them for a group. I would book all the tickets to Wonder Lake and then if some of the party wants to turn around at Eielson or elsewhere, they are free to do that with the shuttle system. As well, if the weather isn't great you may not want to go all the way to Wonder Lake either.

Glad you are excited - Alaska is great for a 30th adventure. And don't worry about the weather - just book and see what happens . . . about the only thing that gets cancelled are flightsees. :)

Mentioned in this post
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
259 Reviews
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denali Shuttle Bus 5 people

We are all young adults in our 30's (or soon to be :-))

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denali Shuttle Bus 5 people

Thank you! I will do that ASAP!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,995 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denali Shuttle Bus 5 people

To answer your question, if you booked to different destinations, no you could not all travel together. There are separate buses to each destination. If you want to travel together most of the way, I would book all of you to the furthest destination (Wonder Lake). If some want to return once they get to Eielson, they just check in with the dispatcher and tell them that they want to return to the entrance. He will tell them when he has room.

Otherwise if they get off anywhere else along the road, they just flag down a bus and ask if the bus has room for them.

Yes, about 1/3 of the seats are held back until 3 days before departure, but it is iffy unless you call right away 3 days out.

Mentioned in this post
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
259 Reviews
Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denali Shuttle Bus 5 people

I will give you some advise.

ans1 : if you want to visit wonder lake , book as early as possible because its far and chances are more you often get off bus to take picture. till savage river campground nothing much to do. Also if you purchase two days pass you will get third day pass free. Lot will depend on bus driver and people in the bus as you have to spot wildlife by your self. we did bus tour two days and seen lot of wild life. most of the wild life you will see till eielson center . so book your ticket in Advance and get the bus time early in morning which will give you plenty of time in park.

2)you must buy it in advance otherwise you will not have much time to spend in park

Jordan

Edited: 21 February 2018, 07:37
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Denali Shuttle Bus 5 people

"Also if you purchase two days pass you will get third day pass free."

That has been discontinued for this year.

Reply to: Denali Shuttle Bus 5 people
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...