We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to travel

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to travel

I'm not new to Trip Advisor but quite new to the forum - be gentle!

I'm planning a surprise trip to Alaska to take in wildlife and scenery and fishing. I'd like to coincide our visit with the salmon run. Thinking about the Denali area - I'm looking for advice whether to book mid June/early July or late July. Any advice most welcome, many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Denali
Denali
2,234 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
11 replies to this topic
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,380 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to travel

Welcome to the forum!

There's not much salmon fishing in the Denali area. So there'll be two separate components to your trip.

Are you looking to river fish or ocean fish?

And tell us a little more about who is in your group.

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,234 Reviews
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,605 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to travel

How much time will you have in AK, and who is traveling?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,496 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to travel

July tends to be good for fishing, but all depends . . .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to travel

Just checked a map of Salmon areas online. Denali is inland, and the only fishing remotely nearby is the Chena River near Fairbanks, which isn't daytripable. You might be better of heading south.

I did Denali last autumn and would advise 3 days for maximum chance of seeing the mountain and multiple chances of seeing wildlife. You'll need to book shuttles and/or tour busses ahead of time.

Other than that, have waterproof outerclothes as rain is likely, as well as binoculars in addition to cameras, because the Dall Sheep in particular often don't come near the roads and stay on the mountains. More advise depends on your mode of transportation, whether or not you want to do other activities besides those that would involve the shuttle, and where you intend to base for Denali. For instance, if you're coming by either the scenic train ride on the Denali Star or bus from Anchorage to stay at the park entrance and won't have a car, you'll have to make sure you're back at the park entrance facilities before the final run of your lodging's complimentary shuttle.

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,234 Reviews
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,496 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to travel

mid to later June - thru mid-July and late August/early September are my favorite times here in Alaska. :)

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to travel

I hope you're looking at a 2019 trip. You're starting really late to book a 2018 trip.

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to travel

There will be just two of us - we'll have 2 weeks in Alaska and river fishing has to be on our itinerary. If not Denali, can you recommend the beast area.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Denali
Denali
2,234 Reviews
Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to travel

2 of us for 2 weeks.....

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to travel

Yes - definitely 2019. It's just 2 of us for 2 weeks, river fishing has to be on our itinerary

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to travel

With 2 weeks you can do both Denali and river fishing, plus more.

Which species of salmon were you interested in? More info: www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm…

Hopefully our fishing experts will be along in the next day or so--if not, you might want to start a separate thread that has the word "fishing" in its title, and include a link to this one. I expect a couple of suggestions will be Russian River (near Cooper Landing), and maybe Deshka R. (check with Ifish in Wasilla), maybe even something from Talkeetna. Both Homer and Seward are great for ocean fishing (halibut, salmon, etc). Once you have your fishing nailed down, you can figure out where to fit in Denali and other activities.

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,234 Reviews
Russian River
Russian River
106 Reviews
Kenai, AK
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Reply to: Best time to travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...