We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hikes in Denali for views

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hikes in Denali for views

Our group of 4 adults will be Denali in the second week of June. We have reservations to take the Park shuttle to Eeilson Visitor Center. What would be some good hikes of moderate difficulty up to that point? We are looking to hike at least a couple of hours. Awesome views are a must and wildlife sightings would be great as well! Any suggestions from those of you who have done it all?!

Johnstown NY
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hikes in Denali for views

Actually you could hike up Mt. Healy from near the Visitor Center and have great views, and quite possibly run into wildlife on the trail.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,934 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hikes in Denali for views

Welcome to the forum.

Look at the two hiking threads in the Top Questions about Denali section for some ideas.

The Mt. Healy trail nice, as was mentioned. Sable Pass and Highway Pass are nice.

Are you in the park just one day?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hikes in Denali for views

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be arriving in Healy, the day previous to the one I have the park shuttle reservations for. So, I am considering doing the Mt. Healy hike that evening after dinner if we are not too tired. However, I really do want to get out of the shuttle and hike for a couple of hours inside the park the one day I am going in. Any suggestions?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,563 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hikes in Denali for views

I think it is very easy to hike around the Eielson area . . . get off your bus when it stops there . . . and it will be easy to get another one. Most things will be visable (no trees) so that makes it simple. :)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hikes in Denali for views

There are a number of great hikes with views in the Thorofare Pass-Eielson area.

To get the good views, it's best to climb up!

Stony Dome is one possibility. When you get to Tolklat, ask the bus driver to point out Stony Dome right before Thorofare Pass. If the mountain is out, the driver will stop for mountain pictures at Stony Overlook. You could get off there to climb up Stony Dome.

Another nice view hike if the mountain is out at Stony Overlook, have the driver drop you at Fish Creek "Turnaround" right at the bottom after Stony Overlook & have the driver point you to Thoro Bench which is on the north side of the road. A hardy climb up the bench & then walk with the mountain in front of you all the way across the bench & then down to Eielson Visitor Center. It's a hardy 1 mile! What pics of the mountain!

An easier climb is Mt. Thoro which is across the road from Eielson Visitor Center. There is a well-defined trail up the mountain. Then to get away from others, you can hike west along the ridge. It's safest to come down the trail up which you climbed. I can say from experience some of those draws down are hellacious!

Or you can simply go to Eielson & then walk back to Thorofare Pass & start hiking & climbing over the tundra & up those hills. It's easy to keep the park road in sight.

All around that area there are usually bears. Be particularly careful as you approach ravines & drainages where they tend to sleep in the heat of the day. Take it from me, it's a bit hair-raising to run into bears in ravines & gullies. Make noise & be CONSTANTLY on the look out.

A great book that clearly describes & clarifies these & many other hikes is Ike Waits' Denali Guidebook.

Edited: 06 May 2010, 10:00
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hikes in Denali for views

Perfect! Thanks! I will get back to you guys on how it was after June.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
1,261 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hikes in Denali for views

Saved me a post, I'd love to hear how you made out.

8. Re: Best Hikes in Denali for views

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2010, 12:17