We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping Equipment Rental Near Denali?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Camping Equipment Rental Near Denali?

Hi All- I'm at Denali for 4 days in July. I was hoping to camp for 2 of those days at Wonder Lake. However this is part of a 3 week trip and I don't want to lug my equipment that long (and it's too expensive to ship in and out). Anywhere near Denali that I can rent a tent and sleeping pad?? Or guide services that would provide this?

Thanks,

David

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,331 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Camping Equipment Rental Near Denali?

Actually you will be surprised that taking your equipment is not nearly as expensive as you think, though the lugging of the equipment certainly is an issue. I find that taking my own equipment is so much easier - I know the equipment, can easily set it up and take it down, cheaper to take my own vs. renting, etc. YMMV.

You can try Denali Mountain Works (google to find more contact info) but I am not sure if they are still renting equipment. You probably want a camp stove and some other basic equipment as well.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Camping Equipment Rental Near Denali?

Thanks FTI- I have the basic stove, water filter, and other small stuff that I can carry. It's the tent, bag and pad that are expensive to mail- I looked into shipping, and it looks to be about 200 round trip or so. Perhaps I'm overestimating weight, but wanted to explore other options.

Thanks!

David

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Camping Equipment Rental Near Denali?

My very small 1/4 dome tent from REI fits into a large flat rate USPS box and my ground pad fits in another one. I have always carried my sleeping bag but I think it might fit into a box too, at least my 30 degree down bag would. $200 seems like a lot of money for those things.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,331 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Camping Equipment Rental Near Denali?

Why not just take an extra piece of checked luggage? Most airlines charge $20-$50 for a second piece of checked luggage each way. I usually pack most of my camping stuff in a duffel bag so I can collapse it easily and stuff it into my suitcase when needed.

Florida
Level Contributor
215 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Camping Equipment Rental Near Denali?

REI in Anchorage rents camping equipment

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,331 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Camping Equipment Rental Near Denali?

>>REI in Anchorage rents camping equipment

...for a hefty price. Considering one would need it for a day or two just to get to/from Denali plus your time in Denali itself, it often is more economical to just bring your own. Plus having one's own, they are familiar with the setup, etc.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: Camping Equipment Rental Near Denali?

Here's contact info for Denali Mt. Works, since you might not be able to return all the way to REI in Anchorage with the itinerary of the rest of your trip:

Gear Rental -- Denali Mountain Works (tel. 907/683-1542; www.akrivers.com), a clothing and outfitting shop, rents binoculars, sleeping bags, tents, backpacks, and stoves. It is right across from the McKinley Chalet Resort.

Denali Park, Ak
1 post
8. Re: Camping Equipment Rental Near Denali?

There is a fully stocked outdoor shop at the entrance to Denali National Park, Denali Mountain Works, they also rent gear and carry a wide variety of camp stove fuels and camping supplies. Their website is www.denalimountainworks.com

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,331 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Camping Equipment Rental Near Denali?

Welcome to the forum Tooloouk.

Besides this thread being about a year old, denalicat in the post directly above yours already had provided that information. But thanks in any case for your contribution. We look forward to seeing you around here more!

10. Re: Camping Equipment Rental Near Denali?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...