We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teklanika campground

Reggio Emilia, Italy
Level Contributor
31 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Teklanika campground

I will be visiting Denali National Park with my family in August by RV.

I booked 3 nights at Teklanika Campground inside the park and the shuttle bus.

I have recently read that private vehicles are allowed to drive into the park on first day and out on the last day.

I have also read that you can change/cancel your reservation up to 7 days prior arrival.

So I am wondering what would happen if something unexpected (road accident, engine problem ...) prevents us to reach the park on the first booked day.

Am I going to lose everything? May I get in one day later?

How is the private vehicles traffic checked inside the park? Are there rangers at the campgrounds?

Many thanks for any help you can give me!

Mentioned in this post
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,935 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teklanika campground

Hi there! Well, I can try to answer some of this . . . you might contact park hdqtrs direct 1-907-683-2294 for your exact specifics. The only reason you can drive your private vehicle/rv is because you have reservations at Tek . . . and they give you a sticker/pass for your vehicle at the visitor center. All vehicles are stopped at Savage, so that is how you get access to the road beyond that point.

I would think if that unexpected happened, you would call and let them know what happened - you'd lose that night, but I can't imagine that you would lose the entire reservation. They might be able to change your reservation, but that would depend entirely on what would be available at the campground.

I think it's great you are staying at Teklanika - it's a wonderful area, and hopefully, all your travels will work out well and without any problems at all. Best of luck! :)

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teklanika campground

Hi, there will be a campground host at Teklanika. These are not rangers, but people who get paid to stay ina trailer at campgrounds (I think -- they maybe volunteers). Anyway, you can ask them any questions, etc. Also the ranger usually will come by every evening for a campfire talk/presentation, usually about something in the park (bears, plants, etc) so that is always fun to go to. You will enjoy it -- I stayed at Tek my first trip to Alaska 12 years ago -- very good campground sinceyou are already in the park.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Reggio Emilia, Italy
Level Contributor
31 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teklanika campground

Coalminer and SJmom, thanks for your replies!

Of course, phoning the park hdqtrs would be helpful, but living in Italy ... it's unaffordable!

I emailed them, but no answer.

I think we could try and change the reservation and losing one night because unavailable would not be too bad.

But our stay would not be the least required of 3 nights then, so ...

Yes, let's hope we are lucky and enjoy Teklanika and the evening campfire talk/presentation sounds like great!

Coalminer, did you maybe ask the park hdqtrs about this?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,935 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teklanika campground

Hello again! I am sorry it has taken awhile to write again - too busy lately. Anyhow, just got off the phone with the Park service. They said if something happened and you missed that first night, they would still honor your other 2 nights reserved at Teklanika . . . but you might not be able to add another night - it would just depend on what they had booked. I really don't think you need to worry about it. I hope that helps ease your concerns so that you can come up here and have a great vacation. And someday, I will look forward to your advice on Italy, because that is one country I have always wanted to see! :)

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Teklanika campground

Hi - I was glad to hear that the rangers stop to do a talk/presentation in the evening. Do they provide that at Savage River Campground also? Would the time of that be published or known ahead of time or is the ranger visit time unscheduled?

Thanks for the extra info that we learn by continuing to visit this site!

Reggio Emilia, Italy
Level Contributor
31 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Teklanika campground

Thank you so much, coalminer!

It's a relief to know that we don't have to worry too much.

Yes, the ranger presentations would be interesting, but I read on a guide book that they are held around 5 or 6 pm. Isn't it early to be back at the campground? I hope they are held daily, so that we may plan on going back earlier one evening.

Last question about Teklanika (hopefully!): it seems to me from the reservation web site that we can book the special Tek pass ticket for the shuttle bus. We can book the boarding time on our first day there and we can freely use the shuttle buses for the rest of our stay in Teklanika (the next two days). Is it correct?

I will be glad to return the favours, coalminer, when you visit Italy!

Santa Fe, NM
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Teklanika campground

I stayed at the Tek campground last August. It was great!

Your last question had to do with the Tek pass. You can make one "reserved" shuttle bus seat with the Tek pass that guarantees you a seat on that bus. But, with the Tek pass you can hop any other bus on a space available basis.

I only showed my pass for the reserved bus, and never pulled it out again. Basically you wait at the campground bus stop and wait for shuttle or camper buses to come around and see if they have room for your party. Then, on return you do the same thing, only you just wait wherever you are at the side of the road and wave at a bus to stop.

I highly suggest - if time allows - to get on a bus when you arrive at Tek, to just get a feel for the system. That way, you can get your bearings, and get started on exploring.

Just thinking of you in Italy, we had an Italian family on one shuttle bus. I have fond memories of children yelling "Bellisima" at every animal we saw. :)

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Teklanika campground

Regarding the ranger presentations (and yes I think they have them at both Teklanika & Savage River, at least when I have stayed there). I think they start at 7pm usually, not 5 or 6. Maybe they change the time according to how dark it is. In early June last year, the Savage River ranger talk was at 7pm.

Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...