We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whittier to Homer?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Whittier to Homer?

We are dismbarking a cruise in Whittier, hopefully hiring a car and driving to homer in July. Does anyone have accurate information on the travelling time from Whittier to Homer and any travelling conditions we should be aware of. We are travelling from Australia and any help would be appreciated as we are planning everything via internet.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
42,292 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whittier to Homer?

G'day folks! Well, this is quite far from my local area, but I thought I would reply, as it will bump your post and give it some more visiability. Sadly, when I am traveling that way, I am also on vacation and pay absolutely np attention to the time. 5 hours maybe - 3 ?? Sorry I can't be more help - it's is a several hour drive, and you shouldn't have any problem on the road other than moose (keep a sharp eye out) and an occasional slow motorhome, which can be very frustrating. Remember, it will be light out for your trip, so you don't need to worry about finding some place in the dark - I think that is nice feature of vacationing in Alaska - leave those flashlights at home unless it's later August. Can't think of anything else - though you might plan on checking out Seward during your time here - it's my favorite town on the Kenai. The Sea Life Center is great, as well as tours in the fjords. Also some other great little towns on your journey to Homer. Have a wonderful trip! :)