We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current weather conditions

Florida
Level Contributor
420 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Current weather conditions

Ok, Coalminer and any others - this South Florida girl is heading your way in 2 weeks and I'm afraid I'll freeze... I heard from someone in Anchorage that there was snow over the last couple days and nothing is green... What can we expect?????

Mentioned in this post
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,479 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current weather conditions

Hello there! Well, it is still getting down to freezing at night, but the long daylight makes it much warmer in the daytime. Also depends on where you are staying in the state - Anchorage and further south as well as Fairbanks green up prior to the higher elevations. I saw a hint of green in Fairbanks yesterday and the pussywillows are out, but that is it. Most ponds are melted, though refreeze a bit at night and the rivers are out. In my areas, daytime temps are probably high 40's low 50's, and in Fairbanks yesterday, it was in the low 60's. Does this help? For you, you will be freezing, but I saw quite a few people in shorts up here! Have a great trip! :)

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Level Contributor
420 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current weather conditions

Thanks for the info. I HIGHLY doubt we will feel the urge to wear shorts!!! It hit 94 here today and my kids were in the pool all afternoon. Yikes... The farthest we will be to the north is Denali. We will fly into Anchorage and go to Seward then back up. I wonder if it is green at all down that way??

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,420 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current weather conditions

Not much green yet. Seems spring is taking it's time this year. We finally have a sunny day today, it has been awhile, so that should really help things green up.

OMG 94degrees I certainly would be melting. Too bad fat doesn't off though....lmao ; )

I have seen baby moose calves. : )

Florida
Level Contributor
420 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current weather conditions

Well, we have 2 weeks... hopefully things will change???

I think of 40 degrees as arctic - heck, we crank the heat up when it hits 55 here!!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,479 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current weather conditions

Yes, things can change quite dramatically - all it takes is heat and light. When it begins to turn green, it's like whosh - and it's all green, and then the next week, it's a foot high. We don't really have much of a spring, because it comes all in one fell swoop. It was at least 55 here today, so if this keeps up, it should be nice. However, it will still feel cold for you - only places like Fairbanks gets in the 90's, so it will be an adjustment for you. Best of luck! :)

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...