We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali Bus Tours....13 hr vs 7 hrs?

Plainsboro, NJ
Level Contributor
59 posts
33 reviews
Denali Bus Tours....13 hr vs 7 hrs?

my buddy and I have one full day in Denali....we're considering the 7 hr tundra tour or the 13-hr Kantishna tour.....is the 13 hr Kantishna tour just too brutal??...or is it worth the extra time in the bus?......which would you recommend more (assuming price is not the determining factor)

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Denali Bus Tours....13 hr vs 7 hrs?

Without a question, go for the 13 hour Kantishna tour or take a shorter version to Eielson VIsitor center (I think they call a near place Fish Creek while the center is being rebuilt). Stops are about every 1.5 hours and the time goes quickly. Take your own food and drinks and all you need.

The more expensive tundra tour does not go as far, does not see some really spectacular areas, and they furnish a lunch that tastes about as good as the cardboard boz it come in.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,408 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Denali Bus Tours....13 hr vs 7 hrs?

Yes, I would also agree - take the shuttle bus to at least Fish creek or Wonder Lake - if it's a miserable day, either weather wise or for you, you can always hop off the shuttle and catch the next bus (space available) back east. :)

Newton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
951 posts
114 reviews
3. Re: Denali Bus Tours....13 hr vs 7 hrs?

I made the mistake of booking the Tundra Wilderness tour, but thankfully I still have time to change my reservation and get one of the shuttles instead.

Other than for bathroom breaks ever 1.5 hours, does the shuttle stop for photo ops too?

Since you have to bring your own lunch, is there a good place to grab some eats to pack in my backpack?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,408 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Denali Bus Tours....13 hr vs 7 hrs?

NJDudette: Yes, that this the really neat thing about being on the bus, as you so many pairs of eyes watching for wildlife, and the buses will stop when you spot them or as they spot them. The bus is higher than a car, so usually that helps as well in spotting animals. So yes, many photo ops.

There are several places in Healy and Denali Park for picking up a lunch - many restaurants pack a box lunch, as well as there are delis and Subway and Bub's Sub's for your sandwich needs. Happy travels! :)

5. Re: Denali Bus Tours....13 hr vs 7 hrs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...