We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking partners!

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Topic
Hiking partners!

Hi all,

My friend and I are coming to glacier for our third (my fourth) round in the park. We’ll be there 6/17-6/22. Since we’ve been several times, we’re looking to hit Cracker Lake and Mt Brown fire lookout. Since these are less populated trails, we were hoping to grow our 2 woman group a little to at least include one more hiker, just for safety against wildlife.

So far the plan is to do Mt Brown on 6/18 and Cracker on 6/21 but we are flexible on the Cracker date.

A little about us: 2 women in our mid twenties. In shape, good hiking experience, and good endurance.

9 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
3,054 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking partners!

I haven’t done Mt. Brown, but I wouldn’t worry about Cracker Lake as a group of two. I’ve hiked it alone - what I have done in the past is wait until I see others enter the trail before starting so I know I’m not out there alone. You can also strike up conversations with other hikers while you’re there and see if anyone wants to join you.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,279 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking partners!

I haven't checked the trail status page but when I hiked Mt Brown at the very end of June one year, there was still snow the last mile or so, so check it out before you go. We only passed two other people on that trail but the only wildlife we saw was a mountain goat. There were just two of us.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking partners!

brown very doubtful due to snow levels and last years fires. Steep climb if open, few people challenge this route so likely you are alone

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
897 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking partners!

Cracker Lake should be fine. Just follow Al's advice.

I haven't done Mt. Brown, but I fear that may be impassible that early in the season this year.

Look at Medicine Grizzly Lake from the Cut Bank trailhead for an amazing dayhike where you may see hardly a soul. I did it with one other person in August 2016 and we only saw people near the trailhead that day.

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking partners!

We did this last year - got to the cracker trailhead and waited about a half hour. No one showed so we did iceberg instead, which was gorgeous, but trying to see if we can’t plan more ahead this year. If not, we’ll probably try waiting at the trailhead again :)

USA
Level Contributor
3,054 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking partners!

With two people, just go for it!

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
897 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking partners!

Yes, with two people, you should have no problems. Just do it!

Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking partners!

Mt. Brown hike this afternoon!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking partners!

Would love an update on trail conditions for Mt Brown!!

Edited: 18 June 2018, 04:38
Reply to: Hiking partners!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park