We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 real fears

Louisiana
Level Contributor
207 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
2 real fears

I have spent hours and hours reading posts here and following links..... I have 2 real fears -- meeting a bear! and cliff ledges when walking (I don't really hike) ..... my palms began to sweat when I saw a photo posted on a blog of the narrow 'very close to the ledge' of a portion of HIghland Trail.......omg..... I had read it was narrow near the Garden Wall area. Is this close to the trailhead? I seriously cannot walk that portion -- guess I could just turn around and wait on hubby to go to Haystack and return to me....that is as far as we would walk this one.

And then there are the bears...... yeah, I know you are thinking then why am I going??? I love scenery and breathtaking views and seeing animals in the distance or on the other side of a fence. ;) Since we are not hiking more than 2 1/2 miles from a trailhead what is the likely hood of bears being that close? I am just curious if that is mainly for the hikers going 5 or more miles deep into the Park???

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Garden Wall
Garden Wall
68 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
6 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
3,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 real fears

It is unlikely that you will have a close encounter with a bear. That being said, bears can pop up absolutely anywhere - you don't need to be miles from a trailhead for one to be in an area. I have seen most of my bears from my car on the GTTSR - I've seen them amble right across several times. I don't think bears are worth being scared over - but you do have to be prepared. Carry bear spray, make noise while hiking, and watch for bear sign. And definitely DON'T go on a trail that's been closed due to bears, obviously! Read up at GNP's website: https:/…bears.htm

Being scared of cliff edges is a different issue - there are plenty of hikes that you should be able to do that don't have sharp drops. You should probably avoid the rimrock section of the Highline - unfortunately, it starts about 0.25 miles into the Highline hike, so you'll be waiting a while for your husband. I'd recommend the Hidden Lake Overlook instead - either with your husband or while he's on the Highline. What other trails are you planning to walk?

Mentioned in this post
Hidden Lake
Hidden Lake
604 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
Louisiana
Level Contributor
207 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 real fears

Thank you, al...... We will skip the Highline - already had Hidden Lake on my list. Husband lets me completely plan our vacations so he is willing to enjoy whatever I plan. :) I read about all the shorter walks on the GTTSR -- so if there are any main ones with serious drop offs, I need to know. I can ask at the Visitor Center as well. Trail of the Cedars looks like a 'no brainer' with the boardwalk. I read we could walk to Avalanche lake there as well.

Others I have on our list: St Mary Falls and Virginia Falls -- which shuttle stop is best for those? Not sure if we will park at Logan Pass and use the shuttles or drive it with stops here and there. Siyeh Bend - a part of it ... & any that you might suggest.

We have the 2-boat tour reserved with the Ranger led hike. We will be staying 2 nights in St Mary and 1 night is Two Medicine.

Thanks for the bear link! :)

Mentioned in this post
Hidden Lake
Hidden Lake
604 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
Trail of the Cedars
Trail of the Cedars
423 Reviews
Avalanche Lake
Avalanche Lake
675 Reviews
St. Mary Falls
St. Mary Falls
206 Reviews
Virginia Falls
Virginia Falls
206 Reviews
Logan Pass
Logan Pass
1,080 Reviews
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
USA
Level Contributor
3,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 real fears

None of the other hikes you mention have drop offs. I assume you're hiking to Grinnell Lake (easy) and not Grinnell Glacier (more difficult) from the Many Glacier boat tour.

There is a shuttle stop right at one of the St. Mary Falls trailheads (Virginia Falls is on the same trail). There is another trailhead at the car parking area. If using the shuttle, I would park at the St. Mary visitor center or Rising Sun, and avoid the Logan Pass parking area.

Siyeh Bend is okay - you can walk a short distance, but you quickly get into the trees so I wouldn't walk too far. Otherwise, you've got the easier trails along the GTTSR covered. Make sure you stop by the beach at Apgar during your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Grinnell Glacier
Grinnell Glacier
553 Reviews
St. Mary Falls
St. Mary Falls
206 Reviews
Virginia Falls
Virginia Falls
206 Reviews
Logan Pass
Logan Pass
1,080 Reviews
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Apgar Campground
Apgar Campground
51 Reviews
Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 real fears

Drop-off fear is real!!! Good choice to avoid the Highline. There are deeper than normal risers on a very long section of boardwalk on the Hidden Lake Overlook...exceptionally hard on knees both up and back down...if that is an issue for you.

I think I may have answered some of your questions on your other thread. I personally would not complicate your visit with trying to deal with the shuttles and the guaranteed delays waiting in line to get back on them...sometimes through several shuttle until your turn in line comes up.. Your visit is so short any way.

I have a feeling that you may have to switch days for your Many Glacier boat tour. As for bears, Hike with a ranger who carries the spray or rent bear spray in Apgar and return it in East Glacier Park...have hubby learn how to use it. goglacieroutfitters.com/glacier-outfitters-r…

Edited: 10 June 2018, 00:57
Mentioned in this post
Hidden Lake
Hidden Lake
604 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
Apgar Campground
Apgar Campground
51 Reviews
Louisiana
Level Contributor
207 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 real fears

Thank you both so much for your help..... & Mary Ellen, yes, you have answered many questions 😁. I appreciate you both taking time to help us plan.

Oh- definitely Grinnell Lake!

Edited: 10 June 2018, 08:10
Louisiana
Level Contributor
207 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 real fears

Also, MaryEllen, our 2 boat tour is 9 am on Sat...... did you think perhaps it was scheduled on our first day driving GTTSR— which is on Friday? We will spend Fri & Sat in St Mary & move to Two Medicine for Sunday pm before heading to Missoula for Monday pm.

Mentioned in this post
Missoula
Missoula
Montana
Reply to: 2 real fears
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted