We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bathrooms in hotels...?

Homestead, Iowa...
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Bathrooms in hotels...?

Okay, strange question. We are very familiar with GNP and have been a couple of times. We are getting married here next July in Many Glacier and have some family coming out. We are campers ourselves so we aren't super familiar with the lodges since we have only stayed at Swiftcurrent Motor Inn and otherwise camp.

One of our travelers has medical issues and needs a bathroom. We are finding that these options are pretty limited, at least in the Many Glacier/St. Mary area. Swiftcurrent used to have cabins with toilets but it says that this year they are unavailable, and they aren't popping up for next June either so we are assuming they won't be available next July. I know the bathhouse is close, but it's still too far for what they need. It also appears that Many Glacier Hotel has showers in their rooms, but no toilet. Does anyone know where the toilets are or how that works? I figured for the rooms that are $300+ a night, they would at least give you a toilet. LOL.

I also checked into St. Mary Village, but their website is quite confusing IMO and I can't figure out if they have bathrooms. Anyone know anything about this? I see that the Tiny Homes have a separate bathhouse which someone said was steps away, but not sure how far that is either. So, does anyone know if the main lodge rooms have bathrooms in them?

Additionally, we do see that the KOA has cabins with bathrooms, but for the price you can get the Tiny Homes at St. Mary Village. Possibility though.

I also remembered that Johnson's has some cabins with bathrooms so we will definitely keep those in mind as well. We had some family who stayed there two years ago and didn't have a good experience but doesn't mean it won't be different this time.

Thanks in advance!

3 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Bathrooms in hotels...?

All of the rooms at Many Glacier Hotel have showers and toilets. I'm not sure where you're seeing that they don't?

Most of the rooms in the park have bathrooms with toilets. If they don't they clearly say 'No Bathroom' in the title of the room type. There is not a lack of toilets in the area.

USA
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Bathrooms in hotels...?

Ah, I think the confusion is where it says '3/4 bath with shower only' - that just means no bathtub, it's a stall shower. There will always be a toilet in a bathroom.

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
773 reviews
3. Re: Bathrooms in hotels...?

St Mary Lodge's Great Bear Annex is nice for mobility issues...plus it has AC, TV and fairly good WiFi service. Its the closest of all Glacier's hotels to the Chain Hotels we are all so used to. All Lodges, hotels, motels and cabins that I know of in the area all have toilets. Make sure you mention the mobility issues...I cannot recall if there is an elevator to the higher floors.

Some of the bathrooms/shower stalls in the older and less $$ places have very small bathrooms that are quite crowded. Not sure about handy accessibility. I am not very big but some of the showers were pretty tight.

**The showers/toilets at the Tiny Houses are NOT in the house but outside of them.

***About getting reservations...Just a hint...When people get connected to on-line booking, whether its a park-run hotel or independent, they grab what ever comes up and sometimes double and triple book reservations in multiple places. They later calm down and cancel those reservations which actually do not fit their schedule. Its not right and unfair really...but it happens all the time. You just have to know that and keep at looking for cancellations quite seriously until they do come up.

As time passes after the first rush, cancellations tend to show up consistently and quite often. That is when you need to grab what shows up...at least as your own plan B...until what you really want for each day opens up. Once you have a plan B, relax a bit...you probably have time to get your favorite lodging in place. Cancellation policies are very lenient up here...which actually causes the over booking in the first place. Those same cancellations policies are nice if you do legitimately need to cancel your own plans later. Please take note of cancellation policies at independent hotels/motels/cabins/VRBOs as those can be more strict.

Park-run hotels, motels and cabins have park concessionaire-run websites to look at. You cannot reserve sooner than one year ahead of time.

The many independent motels all have their own websites which you must google and sometimes those are easier to book by calling rather than doing it on line. You normally can reserve any time unless they are on their own vacations in the Winter.

Here is the east side list again for CORE OF THE EAST SIDE of GNP

At RISING SUN, an IN-PARK motorlodge and rustic cabins just inside the East Gate.

In ST.MARY just BARELY OUTSIDE the East Gate: St. Mary Lodge complex, its Great Bear annex (the only one with TV, AC and fairly good WiFi), some fairly new cabins, two basic 50's style motels and now some very very small "tiny houses". Also Glacier Trailhead Cabins, The Cottages at Glacier, Johnson’s and the new cabins at the KOA. The Red Eagle Motel has said it has renovated 12 rooms for 2018.

In MANY GLACIER VALLEY inside the park: Many Glacier Lodge and the Swiftcurrent motel and rustic cabins. If stunning room views matter to you, at the lodge, choose a Lakeside Balcony room. Because of the age of the historic hotels and the imppossibility of enlarging rooms, they have been decoratively renovated but the bathrooms are still small.

If you are not AVID hikers, MG can be a bit remote from other east-side attractions and can get more boring because its also not huge. The 14 miles from Babb to MG is also very rough and rutted...something that some visitors would not want to drive 2x/day to visit other areas from there.

In BABB, 15 miles east of Many Glacier Valley: Thronson's, a basic but clean, recently upgraded older motel. 4 miles north of Babb Is Paul Ranch Montana with its alpacas. Also in the Babb area, the Park Cabins * The road from Babb to MG is rough and rutted...you may not want to drive that 2x/day if you are hiking and enjoying other things on multiple days in MG.

East of Babb about 5 miles is Duck Lake. Duck Lake Lodge, Stone House, Duck Lake cabin. Some are nice VRBO units.

.…………

Lodging in EAST GLACIER PARK VILLAGE. Its OUTSIDE the park on the south end of the east side...Ideal for visiting Two Medicine Valley but NOT as a home base for exploring the east side highlights which are much further north. EGP is 13 miles from Two Medicine Valley, 40 miles from St Mary and 65 miles from Many Glacier. The 89/49 route between them all is stunningly gorgeous but also narrow, curvy and has free ranging cattle on it in spots. Those are drives you don't want to have to drive 2x/day if you can help it ...and not after dark.

Glacier Park Lodge with its famous tree lined atrium lobby. Mountain Pine Motel, Sears Motel, Jacobson's Cabins, Whistling Swan, Travelers Rest Lodge and cabins, The Brown House and Lone Elk Lodge and condo. Glacier Park Circle R cabins and new motel addition. Also a unique hikers cabin/hostel facility, the Backpacker's Inn, behind Serrano's Restaurant and run by the same. *read recent reviews/look at visitor's photos...some are very small and more rustic than you may like.

Reply to: Bathrooms in hotels...?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted