We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handicap access

Madison,WI
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Handicap access

I'm traveling to Glacier with my elderly parents in August. I have a few questions about accessibily. My dad can walk but gets winded rather quickly.

Do the parking lots have handicap parking spots?

We plan to do the Trail of the Cedars - are there benches periodically if he would need to sit and rest?

When going on the Many Glacier boat ride it says it a short hike between boats - is it pretty short and again would there be a bench to sit on? For the hikes with the boats rides can some people hike and others not?

Thanks for any help!

3 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Handicap access

Here’s a link to GNPs pages on accessibility, there is a lot of good info here:

https:/…accessibility.htm

Yes, the parking lots have handicapped spots.

I think there are some benches on the Trail of the Cedars, but don’t remember how spaced out they may be.

The hike between the boats at Many Glacier is very steep, and I don’t think there are any benches.

For the other boat tours, some can stay on the boat and return to the starting boat dock while the others hike. There are generally not good spots to wait around at the “other side” boat docks for those with mobility issues.

Mentioned in this post
Trail of the Cedars
Trail of the Cedars
388 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
737 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Handicap access

Great answer and link above. There is no reason though that you and your parents will not have a good time. You do not actually have to do any hiking at all to really enjoy the park. Short walks for some photos and the scenery is enough. At Logan Summit there is handicapped and short term parking spots. The walk from the lot up to the visitor's center is a little climb but is ramp-like. If you all can at least walk a short way up into the meadow behind the Visitor's Center, you will have 360 degree mountain/wildflower meadow views. There are no benches beyond the Visitor Center but you can sit on the boardwalk step-risers or large boulders if you need to.

One thing for everyone to do is sip electrolyte added water nearly constantly...hiking or not. It is so easy to dehydrate up here and very hard to recover as quickly as you need to when you do. That will be important, particularly for your parents. Something like Smart Water or other store brands with "electrolyte added" on their labels. You can buy electrolyte drops at health food stores. At a certain age, its really important to keep electrolytes from getting too low or depleted. We constantly refill old Smart Water bottles...add the drops all year long, every day. Coffee, tea, beer, cocktails and smoothies do not count. We had a heck of a time convincing our parents to drink water for some reason. Then hubby's mom ended up in an emergency room...after that, no problem convincing them.

Trail of the Cedars has several benches...and people in our experience seem to share them nicely. Visit the restrooms before you leave the Avalanche parking area. The T of C is 1 mile long but is also in the shade. That is nice on a hot August day...could be chilly on a cloudy day, depending on how cold/heat sensitive your family members are. It can also be cooler on those boats on the water than you might imagine.

The hike between the two lakes at MG is the equivalent of 4 flights of stairs over a fairly short distance. No benches.

Yes you can hike while others return back immediately via the boat. However, there are also not always very good places near the boat docks for them to kick back and wait for you for as long as the hikes take. Its a little problematic here to just make a phone call to each other to say...I'm ready to come back and will be there soon or at a particular time. Cell service is very spotty and should not be relied on. Its also good to tell your other family members back home, so they don't worry about you.

At MG its pretty easy to walk up to the Lodge and wait around in the lounges or patio out back. AT Two Medicine they can wait around the camp store area.

Mentioned in this post
Trail of the Cedars
Trail of the Cedars
388 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
Madison,WI
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Handicap access

Thank you for the replies that are very helpful!

Reply to: Handicap access
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted