We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day Itinerary Review Please

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
5 day Itinerary Review Please

I've already learned so much from TA but am still trying to figure out a rough plan for GNP and hikes that we would enjoy. My husband, almost 12 yo, and myself will be visiting GNP the 3rd week of July 2019. We are in good physical shape but do not have a ton of hiking experience. We will be coming to GNP following 9 full days in the Tetons, YNP, and Cody. I've tried to include different sites and activities since I don't think we can hike for 15 days :-) We will be spending the night in Helena, MT and driving to east Glacier from Helena. (We have a full day of things to do so we are stopping in Helena. We are not going to drive straight from YNP to GNP.) I'd love to see Cracker Lake but it sounds bear-y scary :-) and I don't know where we could fit it in or if my daughter would be into that much more hiking.

Day 1: Drive from Helena to the east side of Glacier. Is there somewhere good to have lunch in East Glacier Village or near there? I'm thinking of heading to St. Mary after lunch to hike to VA Falls. Then drive to Many Glacier. Check out Fishercap Lake and maybe hike to Redrock Falls. Planning to sleep at Swiftcurrent. (I've considered Two Medicine for this afternoon but don't know if VA Falls is too much for day 3.)

Day 2: Boat ride and ranger-led hike to Grinnel Glacier. Fishercap and check out Many Glacier Lodge. Sleep at Swiftcurrent.

Day 3: Try to catch the sunrise at Goose Island. Drive GTTSR. Hike Highline to Haystack and maybe Hidden Lake. Continue to west side. I'm assuming this will be a full day or would we have time/energy to do VA Falls this morning and change day 1 to Two Medicine? Sleep in Columbia Falls. (Already have a place booked.)

Day 4: Visit Polebridge, Whitewater Rafting, Trail of Cedars.

Day 5: Whitefish, Zip Lining, Lake McDonald (maybe kayak). Another west side hike??

Day 6: Fly out early from Kalispell

Thanks for reading and for any feedback!!!

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Helena
Helena
Montana
Hidden Lake
Hidden Lake
554 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
Whitefish
Whitefish
Montana
Lake McDonald
Lake McDonald
689 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
6 replies to this topic
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day Itinerary Review Please

As I was just looking at sunrise times for Goose Island for my visit a week or two after yours, note sunrise during your visit will be around 5:38a and from Swiftcurrent, it would be an hour drive in the dark to get there, which means a very, very early start to your long day. The road in and out of the MG area is notoriously rough and slow. And slow is good for watching for wildlife, especially in the dark. Maybe enjoy your morning at Swiftcurrent (you can go for a short walk to check for moose. . .) then stop at the Wild Goose Island overlook on your way to Logan Pass and the Highline.

Mentioned in this post
Logan Pass
Logan Pass
1,016 Reviews
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day Itinerary Review Please

Good point! I had not yet checked the sunrise times and I definitely don't plan on driving in the dark so I guess we'll just have to skip sunrise.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day Itinerary Review Please

Correction to my post. . . sunrise in late July will be around 6a. Slightly later, but still early! Have a great trip.

USA
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day Itinerary Review Please

Day 1 - I would definitely stop by Two Medicine since you'll already be there. There are several restaurants in East Glacier Park (the one I usually recommend - Serrano's - is only open for dinner). After lunch, head to Two Medicine and take the short walk to Running Eagle Falls. Then visit the lake - you could do another hike, take a boat tour, or rent kayaks here. I think whether you do this, or hike to Virginia Falls, you'll probably not be up for Red Rock Falls.

Day 3 - You will have to be up super early in order to catch sunrise at Wild Goose Island overlook this morning (like, on the road before 5am). However, *IF* you could get a room at Rising Sun this evening, you could definitely see sunrise there on the morning of Day 4, and you could more easily fit in a hike to Virginia Falls the next day. Otherwise, start with Logan Pass on Day 3, and see how you feel about adding in the waterfall hike after - it would be my choice to skip out of those 3.

Day 4 - If you end up hiking to Virginia Falls this morning, you could fit Polebridge or Trail of the Cedars in on Day 5.

ETA: Yes, pixelmonkey caught the sunrise issue while I was typing.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 20:48
Mentioned in this post
Virginia Falls
Virginia Falls
180 Reviews
Logan Pass
Logan Pass
1,016 Reviews
Trail of the Cedars
Trail of the Cedars
387 Reviews
indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day Itinerary Review Please

Last year we had lunch at the Whistle Stop in East Glacier. They had good bar-b-cue. They were out of pork, but one of us had beef, the other chicken and the third person had a bison burger. All were good.

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
10,214 posts
736 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 day Itinerary Review Please

I like your thoughtful itinerary. Be prepared to go with the flow as well. And a drive into Two Medicine as you drive the 49/89 makes a whole lot of sense. And I would try for St Mary Falls/Virginia Falls when you arrive. You need all the time you can muster for your GTTSR day.

https://www.facebook.com/RockNRollBakery

Day 5...You can rent kayaks from the Marina behind the Lodge on Whitefish Lake...it makes sense to do that instead of driving the extra miles back to Lake McDonald. Since you are going to Whitefish, I would give Whitefish/Whitefish Lake/Big Mountain your time the last day. Its beautiful. The Best zip lines are up at Big Mountain...plus the Gondola and Danny On hiking trails...the Alpine Slide etc. http://skiwhitefish.com/summer/ https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g454…

Mentioned in this post
St. Mary Falls
St. Mary Falls
182 Reviews
Virginia Falls
Virginia Falls
180 Reviews
Whitefish
Whitefish
Montana