We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 full days in Glacier with young kids, itinerary guidance p

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
3 full days in Glacier with young kids, itinerary guidance p

We have newly turned 3 and 5 year old girls and 3 adults staying on Duck Lake July 6 (arriving late 8-9pm)- July 10 (driving to Yellowstone).

Only thing we have planned is a Many Glacier boat tour on Sunday at 3pm.

We are usually good about planning, but seems we are rolling with a loose schedule depending on kids mood.

Any itenary suggestions? Not sure if the kids would want to be stuck in the car a ton on Saturday since Friday is a very long travel day for us (flying from Raleigh, NC to Bozeman (land around 1pm) then driving to Glacier). We do want to drive GTTS road. Not sure if it be best to do that on Saturday or on Monday?

I think our rental has bear spray, but will get some if not. Any thoughts of what else we need? Mosquito spray?

3 replies to this topic
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
545 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 full days in Glacier with young kids, itinerary guidance p

i dont think it really matters which day you decide to drive the Going to the Sun Road as any time in July is busy.... just take your time, stop at the pull outs and take pics and soak in the views! I think your kids would enjoy the visitor center at St Mary (right after the entrance to the park on the east side) - lots of neat things for the kids to look at and i enjoyed it myself! (educational). I would say to either start the drive EARLY (before parking lot at Logan Pass fills up - be there before 8:30am!!!) OR wait until later in the afternoon as people head out - better chance at getting a parking spot there - make sure to stop there!!! Also, on the WEST side, stop at Trail of the Cedars/avalanche gorge - nice, shaded short boardwalked walk/hike - good for kids and really pretty!!! have fun! make sure to keep snacks and water with you on your drive! have fun

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
545 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 full days in Glacier with young kids, itinerary guidance p

one more thing..... since you are doing the boat tour later in the afternoon and will already be in the Many Glacier area, AFTER the boat tour, drive over to Swiftcurrent (get some ice cream!) and park and do the short walk to Fishercap Lake - you will be there at the perfect time of day to see wildlife around that lake (early evening....) that lake has GREAT wildlife viewing. Then, on your way OUT of Many Glacier, keep an eye out along the road for wildlife! (deer, bear, etc!)

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 full days in Glacier with young kids, itinerary guidance p

Thank you so much!

Reply to: 3 full days in Glacier with young kids, itinerary guidance p
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted