We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for early July hiking in North Cascades

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Clothing for early July hiking in North Cascades

My wife and I will be hiking in North Cascades and later in Mt. Rainier N.P. in early July 2018. We are from Cincinnati. Will we need hiking boots or can we just use our cross-trainers if we want to do "average" trails. We will probably stay away from snow pack trails. Is there an issue with sliding on gravel with "gym shoes"? In addition, we only have bulky winter coats here or light weight jackets for our winter wear in Cincinnati. We are considering buying "technical" clothing ( light weight down filled jackets ) that can be compressed into bags while hiking if it gets too hot. A waste of effort or not? It is hard to get temps at altitude (inside the parks at altitude ) for the summer period or maybe I haven't found the right website.

14 replies to this topic
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
13 reviews
11. Re: Clothing for early July hiking in North Cascades

I'm aware of the "down yields to up rule" but I yield to everybody. I'll take every chance I get to stop and catch my breath!

Just wanted to add one more vote for 1) hiking shoes (I don't ever go on difficult enough trails to feel like I need boots, but I want good traction); 2) light-weight quick-dry performance layers (I'm an extreme sale shopper, but the money spent for quality gear is great value and well worth it); 3) walking stick or trekking poles (the single most important thing for me - really helps to keep my balance on big steps and uneven or gravelly trails).

No one mentioned camel-backs, but that was also a good investment. For really short, easy hikes I might just take a (refillable) bottle of water, but for longer hikes I like the camel-back.

You definitely want layers. I expected to be cold on Mt. Rainier, and it turned out to be 90 degrees that day!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
12. Re: Clothing for early July hiking in North Cascades

Thank you re: hiking boots vs. just cross trainers. Maybe we think these are easy Ohio hiking trails, which they are not. My dermatologist just recommended (demanded) a wide brim hat as well.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,935 posts
102 reviews
13. Re: Clothing for early July hiking in North Cascades

I’m a bit late to the game here, but we do a lot of hiking and I will only wear my boots. I find them much more comfortable on the trails and the support goes without saying. I also swear by my poles.

As for clothing, the old adage cotton kills are wise words. We later and it is usually a mixed bag of more expensive stuff from like REI as well as some finds from Costco. You don’t have to spend a lot but having proper clothing will make an enormous difference in your comfort level.

The wide brimmed hat is a bit overkill IMO. A regular ball cap style is more comfortable IMO and then some sunscreen and I am good. It might work for you, but I get annoyed with things like that so that’s just me:)

Absolutely there is trail etiquette with yielding to uphill hikers. They get a pace going and it is nice to not interrupt that.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,669 posts
109 reviews
14. Re: Clothing for early July hiking in North Cascades

This discussion verifies that I'm in the "less is more" camp when it comes to day hiking. But that's true across the board for me, lol.

~ Colleen

Reply to: Clothing for early July hiking in North Cascades
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North Cascades...