We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leavenworth

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Leavenworth

Is Leavenworth considered part of the North Cascades National Park?

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
1 review
1. Re: Leavenworth

No. NC NP is more north. Why?

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,928 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Leavenworth

Also Leavenworth is a town, so it wouldn't be in a national park.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Leavenworth

Thank you. I didn't realize the Cascade Mountain area is divided up into sections. Leavenworth, as far as I can tell, is in the central part. But the national park is in the north?

Where would the best moderate level hiking be near? Hikes around 7 miles round trip with moderate elevation gain? The North Cascade area or near Leavenworth? Thank you!!!

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
1 review
4. Re: Leavenworth

What time of year? What’s the rest of the trip look like? I mean, there’s hiking all over the place, and I would think you want something close to where you plan to be.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Leavenworth

Thank you fir your help! We will fly into Seattle July 13 and stay fir a week. Last year we did a 3 leg trip: two hikes in Mt. Rainier, two in Olympic National Park, and then a trip to Orcas island — all three in ten days! This year we’d like to stay in one spot — just in the Cascades. So I’m trying to pick a spot closest to the most appropriate hiking trails for our skill level ( moderate:)

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,928 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Leavenworth

Both Leavenworth and Winthrop/Mazama – – the Methow Valley – – will have a lot of hiking opportunities as well as other outdoor recreation. The latter will be quieter and offer access to the North Cascades. Leavenworth is closer to the Seattle area and it/ its trails get busier plus the town gets more of the regular tourist crowd. I'd read the tourist websites (Mazama and Winthrop each have websites) and decide what seems more appealing. Both Leavenworth and the Methow are great bases for hiking.

Edited: 19 November 2018, 00:12
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
1 review
7. Re: Leavenworth

Winthrop/methow would be my pick for the reasons Christy lists—I like Leavenworth but I get tired of the bavararian kitsch and tourist crowds pretty quickly.

But on the other hand, if you like dining out, which I do, Leavenworth is the better option. Hike in the morning, wander around town in the evening.

Reply to: Leavenworth
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North Cascades...