We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SEKI Trip Report: 5/30-6/1

USA
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
SEKI Trip Report: 5/30-6/1

We are a couple in our early and late 30s, visiting this area for the first time. We had 2 days for SeKi and 4 days for Yosemite. We enjoy hiking, and the goal for me especially on trips like this is to spend as much time outside as possible.

Wednesday

Arrived in Fresno right on time at 7:15pm (American Airlines) and picked up a rental car from Avis - everything went smoothly. In hindsight, we probably should have stayed in Fresno the first night so I wouldn’t feel so rushed (and tired due to the 2hr time difference), but instead, we were staying in Grant Grove at the John Muir Lodge, so we had to make most of the drive in the dark. It wasn’t that bad, and we arrived by 9:30pm (after a quick Walmart stop).

Thursday

Up early for breakfast at the lodge when they opened at 7am - things move pretty slow in the dining room, so don’t go if you are in a hurry. The food was good fuel for the day, and we headed out into Kings Canyon around 8:00. First stop was Roads End and the Mist Falls trail. We saw several groups heading out, but the trail was fairly empty and the parking lot had plenty of space when we set out. We had most of the trail alone on the way up. We did pass one group early on who had just seen a bear cross the trail, but we never saw it.

Mist Falls was delivering on the mist, so we took a short break above the falls along the river. We continued to climb about ¾ of a mile to a great viewpoint looking down the canyon, where we took another break. Heading back down the trail was a lot more crowded once we reached Mist Falls again.

On the way out, we stopped at Zumwalt Meadows and walked the loop. We skipped Roaring River Falls in favor of getting a shower and dinner at the lodge after an hours drive back out of the canyon. The food was decent, and I thought the selection was good. I enjoyed sunset on the shared balcony right outside the room - nice “view” of the sun sinking through the trees.

Friday

Up early again, but this time we skipped the dining room and stopped at the market just after it opened at 7am for coffee and some odds and ends. I had leftovers from last night’s dinner (nice to have a mini-fridge in the room), and my BF got yogurt and cereal. We checked out and started the drive to Sequoia.

Our first stop was the visitor’s center. There are no entrance stations between Grant Grove and Sequoia NP, and I needed to buy a new NPS annual pass because mine expired 5/31. But the ranger informed me that they don’t sell them; I had to go to an actual entrance station. Oh well.

Our first stop was the Big Trees Trail, and I really enjoyed this meadow and the informational signs along the path - great first stop and practically in the morning.

We continued on to the Giant Forest Museum and found parking easily. We walked across the street and hopped right on a waiting bus - just the two of us, and we took the short ride to the General Sherman accessible parking area to start a one-way hike through the Giant Forest.

We got to the General Sherman tree around 10:00, and there were people there, but it was not too crowded. We hiked a long portion of the Congress Trail, which was probably my favorite part. It was also not crowded yet. Then we took some miscellaneous trails (~4.5 miles total) to get to Crescent Meadow. Along the way, we stopped at the Bear’s Bathtub and watched a marmot. I found Crescent Meadow to be a little anticlimactic, and was disappointed to see people going off-trail right where signs warned them not too.

Our next stop was Moro Rock - slightly poorly planned because it meant taking the grey shuttle around the loop twice - but we didn’t want to walk, and I didn’t want to go first thing in the morning. In the end, we definitely enjoyed riding the shuttle more than driving, especially when we saw the narrow roads, which were busy in the afternoon.

Moro Rock did seem to have parking spaces available when we arrived and left (around 2pm). It took us about half an hour to walk to the top, enjoy the views, and come back. It wasn’t packed at the top, but there was a steady stream of people, so we didn’t linger.

It was time to head for Yosemite, so we stopped at the grill across from the visitor center for an early dinner. It’s newly remodeled and I thought it had some nice options (grab-and-go in addition to hot food from the grill).

After all the driving we had done already, I was not looking forward to the drive to the Wawona area (Big Trees Lodge). However, it was pleasant and seemed to go pretty fast. We did get into some slowdowns leaving Fresno (a big one that turned out to be an accident on the OTHER side of the road). After about 3.5 hours, we arrived at the south Yosemite entrance at 7:30pm (no line) - they were still open and I was able to buy my annual pass!

The rest of the trip report will be posted in the Yosemite Forum.

I really enjoyed Sequoia NP and could have spent another few days there, so I’m sure I’ll return.

Mentioned in this post
Fresno
Fresno
California
Grant Grove
Grant Grove
279 Reviews
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA
John Muir Lodge
John Muir Lodge
583 Reviews
Kings Canyon
Kings Canyon
820 Reviews
Big Trees Trail
Big Trees Trail
71 Reviews
Giant Forest Museum
Giant Forest Museum
308 Reviews
Giant Forest
Giant Forest
1,518 Reviews
General Sherman Tree
General Sherman Tree
1,849 Reviews
Congress Trail
Congress Trail
189 Reviews
Moro Rock
Moro Rock
1,331 Reviews
Big Trees Lodge
Big Trees Lodge
2,166 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
6 replies to this topic
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,074 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SEKI Trip Report: 5/30-6/1

Thank you for the detailed report, I really appreciate it. Looking forward to your Yosemite one.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SEKI Trip Report: 5/30-6/1

Great Trip Report and a very good 2 day itinerary!

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
897 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SEKI Trip Report: 5/30-6/1

Great trip report! Looks like you did a very similar trip to what my wife and I did in SEKI on a 2 day trip in August 2012 when we visited both places (outside of including Roaring River Falls).

Mentioned in this post
Roaring River Falls
Roaring River Falls
108 Reviews
USA
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SEKI Trip Report: 5/30-6/1

This link should take you to an album of some of my pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/EI4yenF

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
897 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SEKI Trip Report: 5/30-6/1

Great pics!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,074 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SEKI Trip Report: 5/30-6/1

Beautiful pictures, I especially liked the burned Sequoia tree between the 2 healthy ones. Could almost hear the water! Thanks for sharing.

Reply to: SEKI Trip Report: 5/30-6/1
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...