We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested attire/what to pack

Lombard, IL
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested attire/what to pack

We’ll be at Sequoia and Kings Canyon from June 16-19... arriving 1 week from today!!

We plan to do some hiking on easy/moderate trails. I’m uncertain of the weather and what to pack/wear this time of year (I can check online, but am also seeking personal recommendations). Shorts? Pants? Jackets/hoodies?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
4 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested attire/what to pack

Will you be camping or staying in a hotel?

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested attire/what to pack

I see from the weather website that highs of 80 and lows of 50 deg F can be expected in the Yosemite Valley and that the temperatures in Sequoia are 10 degrees cooler. This agrees with my memory. It was slightly surprising how cool it gets at night. Also temperatures vary with altitude, and there’s a range of altitudes in the park. So obviously layers are a good idea. I remember hiking in shorts and a t shirt in Yosemite and being hot, but needing a sweater at night. When hiking at altitude in a place like Sequoia you can be comfortable while walking and then stop and feel cold. Your body’s cooling system (perspiration) is more efficient in the thinner air. You don’t have to pack a lot, but layering is a good idea; shorts, a light jackets, sweaters or hoodie all make sense.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 08:36
Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,822 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Lombard, IL
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested attire/what to pack

We’re staying at John Muir Lodge. Sorry for not including that info in my original post.

Mentioned in this post
John Muir Lodge
John Muir Lodge
582 Reviews
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA
Lombard, IL
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested attire/what to pack

Thank you, Ralph.

Reply to: Suggested attire/what to pack
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...