We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking shoes for Zion Narrows....

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
154 posts
39 reviews
Hiking shoes for Zion Narrows....

We already have good hiking shoes, back/camel packs - all the stuff need for day hikes. We just got into hiking last year and did Glacier - loved it. This year we are going to Zion and I want to go especially to the Zion Narrows and hopefully even to the "Subway" if we can get a permit.

Question - how much of the trail is in water? Will we need new hiking shoes or sandals? I guess I'll need to get a really good waterproof bag too as I have very expensive camera stuff....

Thanks.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,333 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Hiking shoes for Zion Narrows....

Depending on runoff in the Narrows,the entire trail(riverbed) may be underwater.Depending on when you go,it may be up to your knees,in which case there will be some dry places along the way,or up to your waist or chest,in which case you may have to swim thru the deep parts.

If you do the Narrows,I would not wear open toed sandals.Your feet will slip off the rocks,and you may jam your toes.Walking on the rocks is like walking on slick bowling balls.Watershoes are fine.

You can rent watershoes especially made for the Narrows.This place rents drypants,drysuits,drybags,and the very important walking stick.

www.zionadventures.com

Always check at the visitor center for current weather conditions.If it even looks like it may rain,the Narrows is not where you want to be.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,354 posts
250 reviews
2. Re: Hiking shoes for Zion Narrows....

Rent the proper shoes for hiking in the river if you do the Narrows. Primarily for safety and comfort and secondarily to preserve your own quality footwear that is made for hiking in environments other than under water.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
2,013 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Hiking shoes for Zion Narrows....

If you plan to hike any distance up the Narrows, definitely rent river shoes; also rent a hiking staff and dry sack. The shoe rental should include neoprene socks, which protect your feet from any sand and small stones that may get in the shoes, and also provide warmth.

If you're going during the colder months, a wet suit or dry suit may also be rented.

Have fun!

4. Re: Hiking shoes for Zion Narrows....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2010, 14:18