We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas to Zion to Grand Canyon

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas to Zion to Grand Canyon

We're (my husband and I) are planning a trip for the first week of March. We will fly into Las Vegas. Thinking of going to Zion National Park for 2 nights, then onto Grand Canyon (we already have reservations there for 2 nights) and then drive back to Las Vegas for 3 nights before flying home. Is this a good plan for the first week of March? I am not sure what the weather will be like-is snow likely to bother our driving plans? Any other ideas for the 2 days I'm thinking of spending in Zion? We like looking at the outdoors and enjoying nature, but won't be up to more than a gentle hike.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Zion National Park
Zion National Park
2,053 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
65,383 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas to Zion to Grand Canyon

Good plan, but I'd skip those LV nights and give them to Bryce NP and Page AZ instead. Those stops are a natural in the loop route you are planning and much more worthy of your time.

Most visitors who plan a trip such as yours and then report back, indicate that they could have done without Las Vegas and would have rather had the time in the parks.

March is still winter so cold and snow and winter conditions are possible, especially at higher elevations. Or it could be early spring with warmer temps. Sunshine and blue skies are the norm, regardless.

Mentioned in this post
Page
Page
Arizona
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas to Zion to Grand Canyon

I would definitely keep Zion in your plans. There are some easy but beautiful hikes there, like the Riverside Walk, Emerald Pools, Pa'Rus Trail. Depending on whether you've been to Las Vegas before, you could drop a night or 2 from there. But Redrox, I understand some people actually LIKE to spend some time in Las Vegas. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Riverside Walk
Riverside Walk
316 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Emerald Pools
Emerald Pools
1,428 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Pa'rus Trail
Pa'rus Trail
168 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
65,383 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas to Zion to Grand Canyon

Not disagreeing about that ziggy. LV gets millions of visitors for many good reasons. I just find it too much of a contrast with the beauty of the parks. I know you love both and probably know many of them more intimately than I do.

JMO

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,986 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas to Zion to Grand Canyon

It would be nice if you could add a day at either Page or Bryce.Definitely keep the two nights at Zion.At that time of year, you can drive your own car into the canyon. The shuttles start in April.In addition to the hikes Ziggy mentioned, another must do is Canyon Overlook just outside the tunnel.

Bryce (if you went there) sits at 8000 feet and Grand Canyon South Rim sits at 7000, so snow would definitely be possible there.But if it should snow, it sure adds to the scenery of all the places you are going.

Are your GC reservations inside the park at one of the lodges?

Mentioned in this post
Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas to Zion to Grand Canyon

Yes, we're inside the park at Grand Canyon staying at a cabin at Bright Angel Lodge. We've never been in this part of the country so all will be new to us. We leave early in the morning on the way home, so the last day in vegas will simply be getting to the airport. I figure the 3 nights gives us 2 days to see things there, am not sure if one day there would be enough if we spent it somewhere else. If we did, where would you suggest? should we rent a 4 wheel drive, or will just a small car be enough?

Thanks so much!!

Mentioned in this post
Bright Angel Lodge
Bright Angel Lodge
2,708 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,986 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas to Zion to Grand Canyon

If you give up a day in LV, Page would make the most sense as a place to add a day. Its about 1/2 way between Zion and GC. You could tour the dam, see Antelope Canyon (a must see) Horseshoe Bend. Lake Powell.It would be pretty early for boating activites, but a sunset view of the lake from Wahweap overlook would be nice.

You really don't need a 4x4, everywhere you are going is paved. A small car would be ok.

Mentioned in this post
Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas to Zion to Grand Canyon

Thanks for your help!

8. Re: Las Vegas to Zion to Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2012, 18:24