We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Oregon Coast just of us!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
88 posts
40 reviews
Itinerary for Oregon Coast just of us!

Hi - We are vacationing without the kids in June!

We are flying in/out of PDX

6/16 Arrive late in the evening and booked the HIlton Portland downtown

6/17 Spend the day exploring Portland then drive to Astoria for the night

6/18 Spend part of the day in Astoria then drive to Yachats to spend the night (or Newport)

6/19 Spend the night in Coos Bay

6/20 Spend the night in Bookings? or Crescent City, CA?

6/21 Spend the night in Mt Hood area

6/22 booked Hampton Inn at PDX for an early morning flight back east on 6/23

Thoughts on this itinerary? We've only booked the Portland & PDX hotels as of yet.

8 replies to this topic
Springfield...
Level Contributor
88 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary for Oregon Coast just of us!

PS We know we want to do the dune buggies in Florence? (is that right?)

See the redwoods and Mt Hood area

and say at as many ocean front motels/b&bs as possible.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
302 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary for Oregon Coast just of us!

The dune buggy rides are immediately South of Florence. You should get reservations.

6/21. It's a lonnnngg way from Crescent City to Mt. Hood.

With the amount of time that you have I would suggest cutting out part of your itinerary which would mean one or two of the extreme corners an you will have to set priorities. The extreme points would be:

Astoria and the Northernmost coast

The Redwoods

Mt Hood and areas East of the Cascade Mountains

The Redwoods. My rule of thumb is that if you go South along the coast make Florence your Southernmost coastal town or go all the way Crescent City

There are three segments of Highway 101 on the Oregon Coast that are notably scenic. They are:

Cannon Beach to Tillamook

Lincoln City to Florence, especially Yachats to Florence

Port Orford to the California border (Southernmost 60 miles of Highway 101 in Oregon)

Timberline Lodge is on the slope of Mt Hood. It is in a beautiful setting and an historic treasure. Timberline could also be combined into a route that goes on to Hood River and then from Hood River to PDX which goes through the Columbia River Gorge.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary for Oregon Coast just of us!

Your itinerary needs to be shortened and simplified, starting with cutting out Astoria and the northern coast. Leave Portland by mid-afternoon, go south and take 18 to Lincoln City and then south through Depoe Bay (whale watch) to either Newport or Yachats.

On day 2, drive to Bandon for the night (drop Coos Bay). There are 2 dune buggy tour operators in Florence, one in the northern part of town and the other on the south side. You should be getting to Florence early enough in the day to not need reservations. Not being tied to a reservation time should make for a more relaxing drive.

From Bandon, drive to Trinidad or Eureka. That will take you into the heart of the redwoods. You then backtrack to Crescent City and take 199 to Grants Pass and north on I-5.

This itinerary gives you a chance to experience the redwoods, not just say you saw some; gives you the wonderful central and southern Oregon Coast and, perhaps, a final night around Mt. Hood or in the Columbia Gorge.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
88 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary for Oregon Coast just of us!

ok... hhhmmm... thanks for the input. We don't want to be in the car the whole time just getting from place to place. So maybe we cut out Astoria and get to the ocean coast.

Wineries? Any suggestions there on where to go and which to visit?

TIA

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary for Oregon Coast just of us!

i would suggest you stay at an airport motel on arrival and then pick up your car the following morning you will save an the car rental that way

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
6. Re: Itinerary for Oregon Coast just of us!

Hwy 18 takes you through the heart of the Willamette Wine District around McMinnville. I'm sure others on the forum will be able to offer good winery suggestions.

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
100 posts
7. Re: Itinerary for Oregon Coast just of us!

I'll echo some comments here. You're trying to do too much and it doesn't sound like fun. Crescent City to Mount Hood would likely be more than 7 hours of very boring driving alone. You'll need to determine what your musts are, but I would skip the North Oregon Coast and go straight to Newport via US 20 and visit the must see attractions, then spend the night there or Yachats. Driving and stopping at wineries would make that a long day on the road without enjoying Oregon Coast attractions. I too would recommend Bandon rather the large industrial town of Coos Bay, not necessarily a great family destination and you could do a dune buggy tour south of Florence on your travel day. If the Redwoods are a must, you could stay in Gold Beach or Brookings and make a day trip drive through Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park (Crescent City to US 199 via Howland Hill Road) with a stop at Stout Grove. You could also do this on a travel as you begin your return to Portland or Mt Hood, though you would want to break up the drive. Consider a night in Jacksonville, a great little town in Southern Oregon wine country. The return drive to Portland is about five hours. I would opt for a quick visit to the Columbia River Gorge over continuing to Mount Hood. You're doing a lot of driving rather than spending your time experiencing some of these amazing areas. Do yourself a favor and spend two nights somewhere.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
88 posts
40 reviews
8. Re: Itinerary for Oregon Coast just of us!

Thank you all so much! I agree with you and will relook at what we are trying to do :).

Reply to: Itinerary for Oregon Coast just of us!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted