We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family of 6 first trip to Oregon

Norwalk, California
8 posts
family of 6 first trip to Oregon

Trip dates June 20-July 3rd, 2018 family of 6 w/4 teens/young adults ages 20,20,16,14

Activities may include light hiking, biking, swimming, standup paddle boarding, watercrafts (jet ski/boating), kayaking, rafting, horseback riding, fishing, sightseeing, star gazing, waterfalls, whale watching, lighthouses, dunes, of course we would like to check out restaurants, shopping and beer tours (husband).

So far we are not sure of where to stay I have been reading some forums to get ideas but we would like to stay some where near the beach. We are planning on staying the first half of our trip in central Oregon June 21st-25th and driver to the coast for the 2nd half June 26th-30th. So far we have looked at Cannon, Newport, and Lincoln.

The plan so far is to fly in on June 20 landing at PDX staying overnight in Portland

Next day pick up our rental and head to Central Oregon.

We are planning on staying in Central June 21-25th we will check out and head to the coast Thinking of staying in Newport June 26th-30th in one location and doing day trips of the coastal areas. Check out and head back to Portland are last 2 nights Fly out July 3rd.

If I can get any help on where to stay in Coastal Oregon from June 26-30th if staying in one place and doing day trips would be doable we were thinking Newport since its in the middle but are open looking else where.

6 replies to this topic
Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
100 posts
1. Re: family of 6 first trip to Oregon

If you really want to explore more of the Oregon Coast, consider choosing two locations and basing day trips from those. It's reasonable to day trip from Newport as far south as the Oregon Dunes and as far north as Cape Meares, but there are also a lot of attractions in between, so you would be spending lots of time driving out and back over the same stretch of Highway 101. North Coast destinations like Cannon Beach and Seaside are less fun as day trips during peak season due to their popularity and parking challenges, so I would use one as a destination or avoid altogether. If you want to explore the coast further to the south, Bandon makes a good base for exploring the South Oregon Coast with a little less of the crowd issues.

Norwalk, California
8 posts
2. Re: family of 6 first trip to Oregon

Thank you I will consider that plus it does make more sense. We do want to check out Cannon maybe we can check in the area on the 29th to and just explore the area the 2days before heading back into Portland

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
3. Re: family of 6 first trip to Oregon

FYI, it's Cannon Beach and Lincoln City. Those are the names of the towns and they're not shortened. I don't know if there are other Cannons around, but there are other Lincolns (Nebraska, for example). And there is a Central Point in Oregon, but no Central. I appreciate you mean "central Oregon," but that can get confusing also. We usually refer to anything west of the Cascades as western Oregon and anything east of the Cascades as eastern Oregon....and, sometimes, we refer to the Bend area as central Oregon. You'll get better responses and help by being more precise. When you say you'll be heading to Central, do you mean Bend?

Things can get confusing here. For example, North Bend is on the coast, nowhere near Bend.

Two thirds of Oregon is east of the Cascades...so "eastern Oregon" covers a tremendously large area.

Norwalk, California
8 posts
4. Re: family of 6 first trip to Oregon

I have been a bit confused trying to work a out our trip I think I have been reading a lot of forums they are helpful. Seems I'm just having trouble picking a location for us to base camp. For the first part of our trip I have looked into Bend, Crescent Lake, Crater Lake Silver Lake, I was advised on another forum to look into staying at Sunriver, Loloma Lodge the family would like to stay somewhere that gives a nice view of a lake/river with that camping feel cabin /lodge so I have looked into those not sure how I would refer to those locations when asking advise. I feel like I'm all over the map everything just looks so beautiful I wish we had more time to explore. As to our 2nd half of out trip the Oregon Coast I was looking at some rentals through Shorepine vacation rentals pacific city as well as Lincoln City, Cannon Beach, Newport, Tillamock. Thank you for the advise.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
47 reviews
5. Re: family of 6 first trip to Oregon

I'd suggest spending time reading trip reviews here on TA - I've got a week on the central coast planned with SO many options I've found here. With over 300 miles of coast to explore, we're focusing from Pacific City south to Florence this trip. I don't think we can see all the cool places in one week, but I have a great list of options so far.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,567 posts
1,111 reviews
6. Re: family of 6 first trip to Oregon

Regarding your coast section -- each town has its own character or 'vibe'. Tillamook is *not* on the ocean, it is inland. Lincoln City and Newport are larger towns with lots of congestion. Newport has far more things to do than most of the coastal towns. Cannon Beach is very pretty, *very* crowded.

To give you an idea of driving times, Newport to Cannon Beach is about 3 - 3½ hours without stops. There is only one road, Highway 101.

This TripAdvisor Traveler Article will give you more information about each town:

https:/…Towns.Along.Highway.101.html

Reply to: family of 6 first trip to Oregon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted