We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where next?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Where next?

We have visited Bruges and Ghent in recent months and have really enjoyed ourselves. Now looking to return to Belgium again at some point this year but a little unsure where to go. Thought about Antwerp or possibly Leuven though not sure whether enough to do in the latter. Would be travelling from UK by train to Brussels and would arrive Friday afternoon returning on Monday. Just the two of us now children grown up. We enjoy walking round exploring but like to try out the bars and restaurants too and quite happy to shop! Suggestions most welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Leuven
Leuven
Flemish Brabant Province, Belgium
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Ratatouille
$$ - $$$, Contemporary, International
Park Restaurant
$$$$, French, Belgian
Biestro H-eat
$$ - $$$, French, Dutch, International
8 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,448 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where next?

Antwerpen, Mechelen, Leuven and (small) Lier are all possibilities in Flanders. Antwerpen, as well as being interesting in its own right, has excellent shopping.

Mentioned in this post
Mechelen
Mechelen
Leuven
Leuven
Flanders
Flanders
Belgium
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where next?

Many thanks. Will have a look at Mechelen.

Mentioned in this post
Mechelen
Mechelen
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where next?

My choice for being an art museum person is to go to Antwerp. Galleries and museums can be seen there in many forms. Rubens house, Diamond museum, fine arts museum and a national or royal museum. Maybe two days would be a minimum time to be spent there. Location of the city on the river and estuary leading to the North Sea deserves time. Much history of world war II can be explored there. My second choice might be Leuven or Lier. University environment is present at Leuven. Walking through Antwerp can be a pleasant experience. Limit your second visit to Belgium to these places. Do not try to see or do too much. Location of Leuven close enough to Brussels makes it a good place to visit. Rail travel is available for reaching these two places. Belgium has several advantages for making a vacation there most rewarding. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Antwerp
Antwerp
Diamond Museum
Diamond Museum
329 Reviews
Bruges, Belgium
Leuven
Leuven
Lier
Lier
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Europe
Level Contributor
6,304 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where next?

I think that the program that writes the “GuidoLocattelli” posts needs some updated sources. The Royal Museum of Fine Arts (“Koninklijk Museum voor Schone Kunsten”) in Antwerpen has been closed for years for a complete renovation (and it will probably stay closed for a few more years).

This does not mean that Antwerpen is not worth a visit right now when it comes to art, but the OP doesn’t mention falling in that category.

In any case, for me Antwerpen is the next logical choice for the OP. (I don’t know why Brussels isn’t mentioned… but I would still choose Antwerpen over Brussels myself…)

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where next?

@Guido; I would be very interested to see the “fine arts museum and a national or royal museum” in Antwerp. Can you give me their exact names?

Mentioned in this post
Antwerp
Antwerp
Europe
Level Contributor
6,304 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where next?

And don't forget all the World War II history that can be explored there... :-) The history is there of course, but not a lot to "explore" I'm afraid...

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where next?

Thanks all - very helpful.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
1,005 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where next?

Breda, there is no way on Earth Guido can give you the exact names of the museums for a simple reason: he travels in his arm chair. Yesterday he referred travelers to Provence to invest their time and effort in reading some Harvard University research study which dates back to 1957.

I am wondering when he is going to stop posting his nonsense...

To the OP: Leuven is lovely and not just because there is a university there. Leuven's Town Hall is one of the most exquisite, elaborate and elegant Gothic architecture masterpieces you can imagine. I would go there just for that, but there is more.

Mentioned in this post
Breda
Breda
North Brabant Province, The Netherlands
La Provence
La Provence
195 Reviews
Ghent, Belgium
Leuven
Leuven
Reply to: Where next?