We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Marlborough

Anywhere
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
2 days in Marlborough

My husband and I are very interested in spending 1 of our 2 days in Marlborough next April to visit some of their wineries and vineyards (I read it'll be harvest time in April?)

The thing is, even though my husband loves wine, his doctor doesn't allow him to take more than 3 glasses a day, while I myself am a non-drinker (only a sip or two). Am I correct to assume that a winery tour's price includes lots of wine tasting and that it'd be better for us to drive to the wineries/vineyards ourselves?

Basically what we expect are exploring some good wineries and vineyards, maybe speaking to someone who can share a little bit about NZ wine heritage, a little wine tasting, and a great (but not too expensive) vineyard lunch. What advice would you give to us? Do the wineries accept individual tourists? And will there be someone who can explain about their wine to us if we're not with a tour group?

Also, what is the best way to spend the other day in Marlborough? Or is it better to spend more time in Abel Tasman National Park?

Edited: 14 February 2018, 00:07
8 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
11,204 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: 2 days in Marlborough

Yes, you can go to a winery's cellar door as an individual and not part of a tour group. The person pouring the tastes will tell you all about the wine they are pouring and perhaps a bit about the winery in general. Ask questions, they are usually very happy to share.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
835 posts
2. Re: 2 days in Marlborough

You could check wineries (for example http://www.wine-marlborough.co.nz/ - the map might be quite handy). Their website could tell you a bit about them, you could check their food options (and prices) and opening times might be useful too :-)

I would spend the other day near the water: the Marlborough Sounds are beautiful, especially if you can get out a bit. There's walking/hiking/cycling, the driving is scenic, or a boat tour could be fun.

Havelock is known for green-lipped mussels, if you're into local food.

How much time do you currently have in Abel Tasman National Park? More time there might also be nice, it depends on your interests and what you'd enjoy doing most...

Chester,England
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: 2 days in Marlborough

Where are you staying?

I would suggest taking a day trip from Picton, the Marlborough Sounds are beautiful.

Picton is a nice little place to potter around, plenty cafes and resturants, just hope there there s not a cruise ship in when you visit.

Anywhere
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: 2 days in Marlborough

Thanks all for the useful feedback ◡̈ Two more things: Will driving after 3 glasses of wine be considered as DUI in NZ?

And about Marlborough sounds, it’s a great idea! But will it be the same view we get when taking a ferry to Wellington?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: 2 days in Marlborough

I don’t know the actual alcohol limit but I’m sure that it is way under three glasses!

I’ve always worked on the premise that having a tasting with a few drops of 4 or 5 wines should be OK but no more.

If you stay in Renwick you will be near enough to walk or cycle to a number of wineries so won’t need to drive. Staying in Blenheim you could do a tour by bike or van but that starts to get costly. From Picton it would have to be an expensive tour.

Re the Sounds, whilst there are lots of interesting places to visit, if you only have limited time and you will have been on the ferry I would use your time elsewhere.

California
Level Contributor
11,204 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: 2 days in Marlborough

I was assuming that since you don't care much for wine and only will do a sip or two, that you would drive. Definitely not OK for a person who has had 3 glasses!

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
93 reviews
7. Re: 2 days in Marlborough

If you decide to stay in Renwick I can recommend a property called Nic's Shed.It is a converted wine shed and you have views all round of vines.It is very comfortable and one of our favourite NZ accommodations.There are two bikes for your use if you enjoy cycling.

This little house is a short walk from Saint Clair winery where they do a very nice lunch which can be eaten in the garden on a fine day.Twenty minutes drive will take you to Picton where you can get a boat out into the sounds.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
999 posts
311 reviews
8. Re: 2 days in Marlborough

I have never heard of a 3 glass per day limit...I am intrigued. I can only assume the Dr must be assuming 3 very small glasses otherwise it would be an unusual thing to stipulate in that quantity. I’m picking it’s a medication interaction issue? Sorry...totally off-topic. And, as per above, it would make sense for you to drive if you’re the non-drinker. If the 3 glasses are small and over several hours on top of lunch you might not be over the limit...but... also might not be worth the risk. Re winery tours and what they generally cover...tastings yes but not usually enough to get drunk or over the limit....depends on the winery though. Some are super generous and others are miserly with their tastings.

Reply to: 2 days in Marlborough
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marlborough Region