We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car or taxi?

Toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Rental car or taxi?

I have an Airbnb booked in Noord near arashi beach. I know my girlfriend and I will want to spend atleast a day or two wandering around Oranjestad, we will need groceries atleast once for the week, likely twice or more. by the time we get to and from the airport and do a few trips would we be better off just getting a rental car? My only thought is we do like to drink so i wouldn't want to be tied down to a car all the time but i was thinking we might do day trips then head back home in the evening for dinner/drinks. dont know if i should rely on the buses and taxis or if we would be better off with a car. any input is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
7 replies to this topic
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car or taxi?

We keep a car all week and i think its worth it for convenience. To and from airport, favorite resaurants, grocery store, other beaches, exploring national park and many other off the beaten path places.

Toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car or taxi?

do you have a suggestion who to rent from? or possibly who to avoid. we would want pick up and drop off at the airport if we did rent. Thanks

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car or taxi?

Several decent ones but we always use Optima as we haven’t had a problem with them yet. They pick you up at the airport and take you a couple blocks away to their property. When returning they drop you at the airport after you sign papers, all very simple.

Edited: 06 June 2018, 23:27
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car or taxi?

It depends on your valuation of your time. We did the bus the first time in Aruba (cheap, dependable, nice) but Time consuming and time restrictive (you move at their schedule). We rent a car, We go out somewhere every day, our time is worth it. We rent from Jays, not the high end rental but economical since we just want basic transportation. To get to Nord your taxi bill will be about $25 and $20+ to go pretty much any were you want. Tropic rental has been recommended several times but we have not used them yet.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Aruba Tropic Apartments
Aruba Tropic Apartments
111 Reviews
Aruba
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car or taxi?

Can someone advise if I can still get a rental car if my flight gets in after hours? Landing Sunday at 930 if no delays and still have to get through customs, worried all rental companies will be closed by the time we are done

New Jersey
Level Contributor
261 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car or taxi?

They would bring it to you the next day. You can get a taxi when you land

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car or taxi?

Love Tropic but you need to book well in advance of your trip. I think a car would be a good idea. It gives you much more flexibility.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba Tropic Apartments
Aruba Tropic Apartments
111 Reviews
Aruba
Reply to: Rental car or taxi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted