We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Divi Dutch Village vs. Tam

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Divi Dutch Village vs. Tam

Hi!

I am hoping to get some advice on the Dutch Village vs. the Tam. I will be travelling with my husband and our 2 kids (9 & 7 years old). We have decided to go All inclusive just for ease and convenience for the kids.

I am wondering about the rooms at the Tam as the newly renovated ones at the DDV look amazing. Have any of the rooms at the Tam been renovated? The price for the Tam is better than the DDV.

Does anyone know if the Tiki tiki snack bar at the DDV is included in the AI at DDV?

Is it hard to get shade at the beach? My husband gets burned very easily and for this reason I am leaning towards this part of Aruba as opposed to the high rise section.

Would love to hear more about these 2 places. We have never been to Aruba, so would love to hear any tips!

Thanks in advance!!!

11 replies to this topic
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
15,256 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Divi Dutch Village vs. Tam

There is a sign posted, Tiki Cafe is not on the all inclusive plan . You can take or leave the all inclusive when staying at DDV, much more room for your party than at the Tam.

Lots of shade at the beach.

Michigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Divi Dutch Village vs. Tam

Divi Dutch is not on the ocean. That to me is the biggest trade-off. We just got back from the Tam and we were able to get a palapa every day without much trouble. The pool is nothing special, but it is just fine- and it overlooks the ocean. I am pretty selective about food- and usually do not do AI- especially in Aruba, but we enjoyed the food at the Tam. The rooms were clean, ours seemed recently updated and although we did not have kids with us, to me it seems the perfect place for families.

New York
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Divi Dutch Village vs. Tam

The rooms at the Tam are very small. You will have more square footage at the Divi Dutch Village in a studio suite or a one bedroom unit. The studio and one bedroom has one king sized bed and one couch that opens to a bed. The DDV is right behind the Tam with an easy walk through to the beach. The DDV has three pools and the Tam has only one pool. The three pools at the DDV will not have as many people in the pool because there are only about 100 rooms at the DDV versus much more at the Tam. If you get up early at either DDV or Tam you will probably be able to get shade. Same beach, same number of shade umbrellas.

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Divi Dutch Village vs. Tam

With 2 kids in one room, I would choose DDV over the Tam.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Divi Dutch Village vs. Tam

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! Excited to visit Aruba!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Divi Dutch Village vs. Tam

Another question....I read in a review about a "lockout" room. What does that mean?

Thanks!

Michigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Divi Dutch Village vs. Tam

Those are all valid points about the DDV. For us, oceanfront trumps all. Waking up to that view can not be beat.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Divi Dutch Village vs. Tam

"Lockout" is a term I usually associate with b&b's or other communal facilities where they restrict access to the establishment for a few hours while the owner cleans or leaves the property for whatever reason. I can't see that applying to a resort.

New York
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Divi Dutch Village vs. Tam

A "lockout" room is usually the second bedroom of a two bedroom unit. Very small room with one king bed, no balcony, very tiny kitchenette. Would not hold 2 adults and 2 children. Good for one or two nights while waiting to get into a real unit.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Divi Dutch Village vs. Tam

Thanks! That is good to know :)

Reply to: Divi Dutch Village vs. Tam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted