We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a villa - Water and Electricity Extra?

Woodbury, Minnesota
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Renting a villa - Water and Electricity Extra?

We are planning a trip to Aruba in Jan 2019, very excited! After reading multiple reviews I noticed you are only allowed a certain amount of water and electricity, makes me very nervous. Anyone have experience with that?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
10 replies to this topic
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a villa - Water and Electricity Extra?

We rented a villa in February. We are a family of four and were out of the house during the day every day. We were very careful to not over utilize the A/C when we were in the house and my youngest daughter never even used hers in her room once. At the end of the week we were just under $100 over our allotted electricity for the week. It will all depend on how much they allow you and if you're there most of the time but it is something to take notice of.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
708 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a villa - Water and Electricity Extra?

Surcharges for energy just sounds sleazy. I mean, a hotel doesn't do this? This is something that should be calculated in the rental rate.

TN
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a villa - Water and Electricity Extra?

It's not "sleazy." Remember that Aruba is a small island and does not have the same resources as the U.S. Hotels do not charge extra, but owners who rent their condos or villas have to pay the bills. They only ask that you economize during your stay. For example, there is no need to run the AC if you are going to be gone for the day. Common sense is all that they require.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a villa - Water and Electricity Extra?

I agree the allotment is so that people dont waste electricity. Not everyone does, but alot of people run the A/C all day long even if they arent actually in the house. Making people pay for it makes them think twice about running the A/C when they arent there. WHen we stayed at Aruba Beach Club they had a per day energy or electricity fee I think. Last time we rented a small house in Aruba and I dont think they did this, but the house was very small.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba Beach Club
Aruba Beach Club
323 Reviews
Aruba
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,559 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a villa - Water and Electricity Extra?

Definitely not sleazy and most villa/house rentals in Aruba do this so that the A/C isn't running all day long with no one in the house which would turn into a huge electrical bill. We rented a villa in the past and were allowed a certain amount for electric and water - anything over that we had to pay extra. We made sure the A/C wasn't running in all of the rooms when we didn't need it.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
433 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a villa - Water and Electricity Extra?

We have rented many vacation rentals and most have had some kind of electricity cap, a couple had the hot water shut off when we arrived. Only once did we have to pay for extra electricity, we did not rent there again.

Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
197 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a villa - Water and Electricity Extra?

please aruba as been increasing their costs every year within the next 10 yrs they are going to price themselves out of much of their business, resort taxes, environmental taxes and the list goes on. Couple that with the exorbitant prices airline companies are charging and for many not all it is becoming cost prohibitive for an aruba vacation. they even charge 11 per person for the national park now. It seems at every turn they find additional ways to tax their consumers. I understand that tourism is their main source of funding but they have to moderate what they do. It seems that their governmental decision makers have decided to aggressively pursue additional revenue sources at the expense of their tourism visitors.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
708 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a villa - Water and Electricity Extra?

I don't go on vacation to be energy efficient, and I certainly don't want to worry about how much the air conditioning is costing me.

Villas need to figure out their costs and charge a rate that reflects those costs. Threatening me to pay extra if I "waste" energy at a vacation rental is hideous.

I would bet that any place that does this has undersized, old, inefficient AC "window" units in each room. That is a clear sign that the building was never engineered by an HVAC professional. So they are basically charging you extra because they have a poorly constructed, energy inefficient building.

I would never stay in a vacation rental with an energy clause.

the Netherlands
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a villa - Water and Electricity Extra?

As far as I know almost all rentals have this policy. We always rent a house and never had to pay extra. The owners do calculate a normal use, but some people think it is a good idea to run the airconditioning in all rooms, all day. Sometimes even with the doors wide open. Utilities are expensive on Aruba and I think it is common sense of owners to ask renters that are this careless to pay for the bill. As for taxes, the good people of Aruba have to pay more taxes than we tourists must. And for your information: for many years there is an entrancefee for Arikok National Park. That is how they can preserve it. Money is not natural phenomenom!

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Arikok National Park
Arikok National Park
892 Reviews
Aruba
TN
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a villa - Water and Electricity Extra?

Charging someone for overuse of energy is certainly not "hideous," as long as this policy is explained at the time of the rental. As I mentioned in an earlier post, those who wish to avoid the problem should go to a hotel. The Aruban government plans to make all electrical power come from renewable energy sources by the year 2020. There certainly is an abundance of sun and wind to help them achieve that goal.

Reply to: Renting a villa - Water and Electricity Extra?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;