We are traveling to Aruba for the first time for a wedding in about 10 days (from the US--no kids). We will be on the island for 8 days. We aren't really into excursions, but are interested in exploring the island a little (shopping, beaches, etc). We are staying at the Marriott Renaissance on the family side. We would like some restaurant recommendations (for all meals), including cheap eats. Some nice/romantic spots for dinner. My husband is allergic to fish & I don't eat it, so those can be excluded. Some other questions include:
- Do we need an outlet adapter for hair dryer, chargers, etc?
- Should we get Aruba currency & if so, convert in the US or in Aruba?
- How would you recommend getting around the island? Is there public transportation? We would like to see Palm & Eagle Beach.
- How is the Renaissance in general? I read a review about roaches & that freaks me out.
- Where can we get small groceries to keep in our hotel room? I am thinking bottled water because that will be cheaper than the hotel.
- I've read tipping is not necessary due to the service charge added at restaurants. Is this true?
- What is the mosquito situation in the summer? We have tons of bug spray packed.
- Are luxury items cheaper in Aruba than the US? I've heard this can be true of other Caribbean islands.
- Any other things to know?