We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sewage problem anyone there now.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Sewage problem anyone there now.

Anyone in the hastings area now ,is there a sewage problem . thanks

160 replies to this topic
ske
SUSSEX
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sewage problem anyone there now.

Yes arrived yesterday......bubbling manholes by Tapas and Lanterns mall

Mentioned in this post
Tapas
Tapas
3,365 Reviews
Barbados
swindon
Level Contributor
55 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sewage problem anyone there now.

Sorry i am hijacking the thread .I am here now on the West Coast and as we have a car planning to tour the island .What areas should we avoid ...thinking specifically about sewage problems

Thank you

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,257 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sewage problem anyone there now.

There are already two long threads on this page giving all possible details of the problems Perhaps start by reading those ,which I’m sure you will find helpful .

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sewage problem anyone there now.

sorry to sound like I'm trying to shove this under the carpet.. but there is a tiny speck of our 14mile wide, 21mile long island that is having issues with this at the moment.. (or ever, as far as I'm aware).and yes.. in terms of health concerns etc, it is a big deal.. however.. it's situated on the south coast.. around Lanterns area and Worthing post office are in general. it's not the entire stretch of the south coast and it doesn't extend to any other areas in Barbados.. I'd say maybe 1 pct of the island. in terms of area..

so Lesley H.. enjoy your touring around the other 99pct of Barbados. (I'm prepared to be stuck down by this.. so.. go ahead).

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sewage problem anyone there now.

Problems have been reported as far west as Lanterns Mall (Halls Gap at Hastings Main Rd) and Tapas to as far east as Chicken Barn (now closed because of it) just east of Rendezvous Hill at Worthing Main Rd. The entire stretch is not covered in sewage, there are pockets of sewage and overflowing manholes. The sluice gate where they release sewage to the sea from Graeme Hall swamp is toward the east end of Worthing beach. See attached link for a map. https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Barbados/@13.073094,-59.5914925,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8c43f1fbae321aa3:0xeec51b38cf4362b!8m2!3d13.193887!4d-59.543198

Mentioned in this post
Hastings
Hastings
Barbados
Tapas
Tapas
3,365 Reviews
Barbados
Worthing
Worthing
Barbados
Worthing Beach
Worthing Beach
257 Reviews
Barbados
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
ske
SUSSEX
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sewage problem anyone there now.

As above, pockets of areas I would not wish to walk. Staying on South Coast and walked on boardwalk etc. The only small area we have seen so far is on main road outside Lanterns. We walked along boardwalk to get there and crossed over before. Will still be getting out about by car and walking beaches and boardwalk.

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sewage problem anyone there now.

Geographically small area Sunnie but impact to population (local and tourist) on South Coast is immense.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
288 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sewage problem anyone there now.

We arrived a few days ago. Last minute deal we are glad now that we are staying at Rockley golf course not Coral mist which had been our our favourite option.

The bubbling manholes outside Worthing post office and Masseys are disgusting and running straight into the storm drains which we assume discharge into the sea.we have decided that we would not be happy using the beaches or sea in this area at present which is a shame as Rockley and Worthing

beaches are beautiful .We have a car so are not spending much time in the area which is a shame as Worthing beach is one of our favourites.we walked the broad walk yesterday and around Lanterns mall there was a awful smell so we didn't stop for a drink at Tapas as the smell was off putting .

I feel so sorry for the businesses and hotels in this area..

If I had known before we arrived I would of opted for the west coast

Until the drains are sorted I would say West is best .

Mentioned in this post
Rockley
Rockley
Barbados
Worthing
Worthing
Barbados
Tapas
Tapas
3,365 Reviews
Barbados
Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
447 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sewage problem anyone there now.

NorthernCanuck1,

In relation to the opening of the sluice gates at Graham Hall located to the east end of what was, beautiful Worthing Beach, this procedure is nothing new and I became acutely aware of this quite disgusting practice over ten years ago when generally ,at night in the low season,probably overflowing sewage was released into the sea to prevent the overwhelming of an inadequate sewage plant. At this time a beautiful blue sea was turned into a ghastly brown colour which took many hours to clear.

To summarize,the problems with the sewage plant have been going on for over ten years and Governments past and present have still failed to fully resolve the issues to date,which is so neglectful.

Mentioned in this post
Worthing Beach
Worthing Beach
257 Reviews
Barbados
Glos.
Level Contributor
369 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sewage problem anyone there now.

I wonder if the overflow of sewage was the real reason Graeme Hill mangrove swamp/nature reserve was closed, many, many years ago.

It's owned by the Government isn't it ? Didn't it used to be open to the public and a lovely place to walk and see the wildlife and birds ?

Reply to: Sewage problem anyone there now.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted