We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To swap or not?

Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
To swap or not?

We are due to arrive at Infinity on the Beach at Dover beach in 2 weeks, reading about the sewage issues and gastroenteritis some have experienced, we are considering moving to further up the west coast. I have seen Treasure Beach by Elegant but it only seems to have 3 reviews on tripadvisor - was it called something else previously?

Is there as much to do at Paynes beach as Dover beach - eating out places etc?

Or are we bonkers and should take no notice of the sewage hype? My slightly dodgy stomach is feeling worried lol

Mentioned in this post
Infinity on the Beach
Infinity on the Beach
868 Reviews
Barbados
Dover Beach
Dover Beach
1,448 Reviews
Barbados
Treasure Beach by Elegant Hotels
Treasure Beach by...
18 Reviews
Barbados
Champers Restaurant
$$$$, American, Caribbean, Seafood
Nishi Restaurant
$$ - $$$, British, Seafood, Sushi
Island Plates
$$ - $$$, Caribbean, Healthy
29 replies to this topic
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To swap or not?

Absolutely no reason to move. Infinity is nowhere near the intermittent sewage issue. Its a great hotel on a great beach. Recommend using the restaurant for breakfast, right on beach. Exellent beach bar also with 2 happy hours during the day.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
13,616 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To swap or not?

Treasure Beach was always called Treasure Beach but it was taken over by Elegant Hotels and only reopened in December.

The Elegant chain have a terrific reputation ( The House, Colony Club, Crystal Cove, Waves and Turtle Beach ) and the ones on the west coast have exchange dining facilities and a water taxi to drive you from one to another in the daytime. Treasure Beach is on Paynes Bay which has a long long beach, although it is rather built up. I am sure T B will be top notch.

Mentioned in this post
Treasure Beach by...
18 Reviews
Barbados
The House by Elegant Hotels
The House by Elegant...
666 Reviews
Barbados
Colony Club by Elegant Hotels
Colony Club by Elegant...
739 Reviews
Barbados
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
Crystal Cove by Elegant...
1,944 Reviews
Barbados
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hotels
Waves Hotel & Spa by...
387 Reviews
Barbados
Paynes Bay
Paynes Bay
Barbados
Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
15,132 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To swap or not?

You asked about restaurants:....so Restaurants in the Paynes Bay area IN WALKING DISTANCE

Daphnes- Roti Den- Scarletts- Karibu - casual restaurant with local food Mr.Vics - Bar & Restaurant Chilz - dessert restaurant The Gazebo- Cariba- - 15 min walk away The Cliff - Cliff beach club- De Clay Oven -Chinese Take away- Connies road side stand on Thursday, Friday and Sat evenings - very good local food. 2 rum shops - Marshalls and Nancy on Holders Hill

There is also a good shop in the petrol station opposite the hotel where you can get drinks, snacks etc. They also have an atm in there....

and there are many many more in all price points and to suit all tastes in Holetown, just a few stops on the bus further north

As for the lack of reviews of Elegant's adult only beachfront hotel Treasure Beach -- It has only recently become a sister hotel in the Elegant Group -- prior to that it was just Treasure Beach Hotel = it's always had a good rep for its dining room - we had friends who always stayed there - and other friends who used to invite us to go there for meals -- nice place and now it's part of the Elegant group - you would have the opportunity to use the dedicated water taxi to visit sister hotels on the calmer west coast (weather permitting during the daytime) and to use their facilities too....

Edited: 18 February 2018, 06:51
Mentioned in this post
Paynes Bay
Paynes Bay
Barbados
Daphne's Barbados
Daphne's Barbados
1,415 Reviews
Barbados
Cariba Restaurant and Bar
Cariba Restaurant and Bar
835 Reviews
Barbados
The Cliff
The Cliff
2,934 Reviews
Barbados
The Cliff Beach Club
The Cliff Beach Club
606 Reviews
Barbados
Holetown
Holetown
Barbados
Treasure Beach by...
18 Reviews
Barbados
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To swap or not?

There are no sewage issues near Infinity on the beach ,which is Dover beach,so relax you will love the location

Mentioned in this post
Infinity on the Beach
Infinity on the Beach
868 Reviews
Barbados
Dover Beach
Dover Beach
1,448 Reviews
Barbados
Iroquois, Canada
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To swap or not?

Stay where you are great place there is a flu bug that's effacing the world I would be more worried about the air in the plane

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To swap or not?

We are staying at Infinity on the Beach right now. Have been here since the 14th and there are 4 of us. We haven’t had any stomach problems and no sign of sewage. We have been eating in the Gap area- tons of restaurants. We are enjoying it here!

Mentioned in this post
Infinity on the Beach
Infinity on the Beach
868 Reviews
Barbados
London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To swap or not?

Hi there I just returned today from time out which in same area. I was the same .with this issue off sewage problem. But i never seen anything in that area . The only thing I see was when I was driving. Near rockley beach . A drainage cover in the road was bubbling up ... but absolutely nothing to what I thought. It didn’t change my Holiday one bit . All the best

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To swap or not?

Tonight there was a sewage truck parked in front of Infinity on the Beach. There was yellow caution tape around a small area with a manhole in the middle right out the front door of Infinity. There was no smell and by the looks of it they had maybe pumped sewage out before we came down. No sign of anything overflowing.

Mentioned in this post
Infinity on the Beach
Infinity on the Beach
868 Reviews
Barbados
Ottawa
Level Contributor
222 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To swap or not?

Maybe, finally, BWA is being proactive and doing sewer maintenance,

Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To swap or not?

Thanks for all the responses. I am so worried by the reports of lots of people getting sick :-(

Virgin are saying that it is too late to change to another hotel :-(

Reply to: To swap or not?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted