We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel immunizations/antibiotics - illness precautions

Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Travel immunizations/antibiotics - illness precautions

Been following some threads on the sewer issues. I called my travel medicine office to see about being prepared and getting something to bring for travelers diarrhea. They thought it was a good idea. I didn't realize they also suggest being up to date on typhoid immunizations to ANY Caribbean location. That was news to me. I am also going to pack plenty of immodium, a thermometer..etc.

Always bring...always I hope to not need.

What orher ideas do you all have?

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
7 replies to this topic
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel immunizations/antibiotics - illness precautions

I've never gotten a vaccine to go to the Caribbean. I usually go at least once a year.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
15,740 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel immunizations/antibiotics - illness precautions

Some docs suggest that one should be up to date on Hep A & B shots - (we've never bothered I;m embarrassed to say) .,..

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,213 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel immunizations/antibiotics - illness precautions

Never had a single injection to come here in 26 years, and don't intend to start now.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel immunizations/antibiotics - illness precautions

we have never had a vaccination either,and will not now,but are up to date on all our shots after visiting India at the end of last year.,but that is the first time ever we have bothered.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel immunizations/antibiotics - illness precautions

We always keep our tetanus, Hep A&B up to date. Never had typhoid vaccination for trips to the Caribbean or Central America. Dukoral for travellers diarrhea might be an idea if you are staying near the sewage problem area, if in other areas it shouldn't be necessary.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
537 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel immunizations/antibiotics - illness precautions

A doctor friend recommends the full-leaded Coca Cola for stomach upsets, yes seriously! He reckons it;s better than any medicine for settling things down again.

I always take strong antibiotics and steroids with me when travelling just in case due to serious medical issues. The only issue we had was Australia where you're not generally allowed to take in steroids without a copy of the prescription and some VERY tough questionning by immigration/customs officers.

Soon be in Barbados, God Willing, can't wait to dig my toes in the sand!

W-D

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel immunizations/antibiotics - illness precautions

Canada Dry gingerale, stirred, is also a good upset remedy. Worked for me when I had stomach issues but then we found out it was one of the medications I was on that caused all the problems.

Reply to: Travel immunizations/antibiotics - illness precautions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted